Thread: Dragon

Dragon

I haven't posted anything for a while, but was prompted to by Dee's work on her 3D images. She did a really nice job on the bird in her latest post.
    I do a fair amount of 3D work. Some of it is vector drawn, and some of it is bitmap. While I find the vector easier to manipulate, I get some decent results from dicking around with the bit maps. I often duplicate and isolate areas to be manipulated and laid back on top of the original. It can be a pain, but with practice it is not so bad.

I was asked for a dragon design on a pen box, and here is how it came out. This is a manipulated bitmap.
    Michael Doyle
    Wooden Pen Works
    45 Watt Epilog Helix

That looks VERY good...nice job.
    There is a way to minimise the "ridging" and banding on the background and that is to use a polishing pass after engraving..ie a high speed lowish power pass.
    Another way is to have a patterned background.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I love this, Michael- it is up to your usual excellent standard. I was always inspired by your spectacular pens and crests... so we've helped each other!

It makes me wonder now: how would a manipulated bitmap come out if you added strategic vector lines for definition where it's really needed? hmmmmm... might make things easier and better yet ... thanks for the thought!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.

Help me out here

So by manipulated you mean you "copy" (or something like that) areas such as the back ground and lay them on top of the image and run those through a second or third, etc. burn until you get the desired effect?

Thanks Dee.

Rodne - The banding is actually the wood grain, and is far more obvious in the photo than in the flesh. I do get some higher ridges on glued up plaques and will try your suggestion on those.

Tom - I make a copy of the artwork and power clip a section then work on the brightness or contrast. When I get it where I want it, I overlay it on the original. If you register it correctly it blends perfectly. I only engrave once.
    Last edited by Michael Doyle; 07-31-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    Michael Doyle
    Wooden Pen Works
    45 Watt Epilog Helix

Blog Entries
    Sorry, Dee, but I now have to claim Michael as the champion 3Der in my book... and I swear it has nothing to do with my family's predilection towards all things dragon Remove those wings and I would have a guaranteed hit of a Christmas present for my father.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Sorry, Dee, but I now have to claim Michael as the champion 3Der in my book... and I swear it has nothing to do with my family's predilection towards all things dragon Remove those wings and I would have a guaranteed hit of a Christmas present for my father.
    You are so fickle, Dan!

Sounds like a Dragon Contest, now!

I only do Chinese dragons, BTW.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Michael, great job on the dragon, looks very pleasing to the eye.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

That looks good

Dragon contest sounds good to me, Dee I have one chinese dragon I drew myself, maybe it comes out good in 3D

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

10. Talking

When thinking dragons don't forget Quetzalcoatl. Not strictly a dragon but a winged serpent. Often seen represented similarly to a oriental dragon.

Just thinking outside the box.