Thread: the first time sharpening a plane blade

Question the first time sharpening a plane blade

so i cleaned up that stanley NO.7 jointer plane. i bought a blade, it was from one of those top to plane companies you listed. i cant remember the name. well, i want to get around to sharpening it soon. but i have never sharpened a plane blade before. i have one of those jigs for chisels and planes that holds the angle you set and then you roll the whole thing across your stone. for a stone i have one of those 3 sided sharpening station things from PSI. it has a rough stone on one side, you turn the set up 1/3 and there is a medium stone, another 1/3 turn and there is a fine stone.
    that being established, now the questions.

first
    the blade i bought was marked as a No.7 replacement blade. does that mean that the bevel already on the blade is the right angle for my plane, and all i need to do is take it from being sharp to scary sharp? if it is not the right angle, what is?

second.
    based on what i have said i have for sharpening. how do you sharpen the blade? do you use light pressure, heavy pressure for the coarse stone. i read some where about a micro bevel but im not sure if that applys. also. do i need oil for the stone, and what oil will work best?

oh, i remember one other thing about the blade. i had the choice of 2 bifferent steels, on was harder and would last longer, the other would hone quicker but not last as long. i got the harder on. i beleive it was A2 steel? im not sure if this will make a difference or not in sharpening technique.

thanks for your help
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    first
    the blade i bought was marked as a No.7 replacement blade. does that mean that the bevel already on the blade is the right angle for my plane, and all i need to do is take it from being sharp to scary sharp? if it is not the right angle, what is?

second.
    based on what i have said i have for sharpening. how do you sharpen the blade? do you use light pressure, heavy pressure for the coarse stone. i read some where about a micro bevel but im not sure if that applys. also. do i need oil for the stone, and what oil will work best?

oh, i remember one other thing about the blade. i had the choice of 2 bifferent steels, on was harder and would last longer, the other would hone quicker but not last as long. i got the harder on. i beleive it was A2 steel? im not sure if this will make a difference or not in sharpening technique.

thanks for your help
    1) A No 7 is normally a bevel-down plane, which means the bevel angle is not as critical; no matter what bevel angle you use, you'll still have the same cutting angle. But, you said your blade is A2 steel; this type of steel has a much more durable edge at higher bevel angles, so something like 30 or 35 degrees is probably wise.

2) I'm still a newbie, so I'll leave the fine points of technique to someone else. If you do a search on Chris Schwarz's blog, though (http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog), you should find several good articles on basic sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Miller View Post
    1) A No 7 is normally a bevel-down plane, which means the bevel angle is not as critical; no matter what bevel angle you use, you'll still have the same cutting angle. But, you said your blade is A2 steel; this type of steel has a much more durable edge at higher bevel angles, so something like 30 or 35 degrees is probably wise.

2) I'm still a newbie, so I'll leave the fine points of technique to someone else. If you do a search on Chris Schwarz's blog, though (http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog), you should find several good articles on basic sharpening.
    Edward, the bevel angle on a b/d plane may not be as critical as that of a bevel up plane but there is the clearance angle to consider. The #7 is b/d bedded at 45 degrees so the actual clearance angle is 45- the angle of honing or bevel angle. A clearance angle of 12 degrees is the minimum workable, so if you have a bevel angle of 35 degrees on a bevel down plane such as a #7 it will not work very well at all as the clearance angle is only 10 degrees (45-35=10).In fact I think 15 degrees clearance is the optimum.
    I think the op should get a good book such as Leonard Lee's "" The complete guide to Sharpening", or JIm Kingshott's book, or a DVD by D. Charlesworth- all are/were tradesmen with practical advice without noise.

Curtis, I was looking around for that sharpening stone. I have a cheap 3-sided stone that is good for a start but not fine enough for final sharpening. Does your stone list the grit size? Just checking to see if you might want to add a finer stone or finer sandpaper to get the best edge.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!