Thread: my new shop... (still building)

Smile my new shop... (still building)

Thought I'd update you on the state of things...

So here is a sketch up file of it's gonna look (with some tools that I don't own yet, and some that I do)

and here is a link to some building pictures (I need to update this, it is more advanced now...)

Yesterday my brother purchased the electricity supplies (cables, lights, switches and of course outlets - lots) for about $400, also got a DONATION of 3 nice windows, and maybe more if I ask... good northern lighting...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/meshel/M...eat=directlink

I would appriciate any tips or suggestions on storage and machine placement - the sketchup is to scale (meters).

Moshe

A nice tool to use for shop layout is the shop planner on the grizzly.com website. After dimensioning your shop you can drag and drop in windows, doors, etc. It also has drop in's for most woodworking machines...they are all grizzley's stuff but the dimensions are the same (or close) as competitors. You can also create benches and counters with their rectangle tool. Or plan on light placement. Yo ucan also save the image, open in paint, and add stuff like wiring runs etc. Nice.

Here is an example of mine:

If you have Visio, I found a template/stencil online that looks pretty well. On the Grizzily application, you only had Grizzly tools, and if you needed a tool that they don't make, you had to improvise. The Visio stuff had all of my tools except the Shopsmith Jigsaw mounted on a power station. It did have a Shopsmith Mk V and a radial arm saw. Also had a furnace and water heater!

Here's the link

Attaching one of his sample layouts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 07-29-2009 at 2:06 PM. Reason: Added picture

Moshe,

Congratulations on your new shop. Having just moved into my new shop I know how exciting it is when it's being built. Plan far more storage than you think you'll need. It will fill up quickly. Adequate storage also helps tremendously with shop organization. Placing tools on a plan using software like the one on the Grizzly website is useful, but it doesn't replace seeing the tools in the space. My shop layout looked great on the computer. I even have software that lets me see it from all angles, but when I actually put the machines in the space I realized that I needed to make some changes. Build in as much flexibility into your design as possible. Put plugs everywhere that you could possibly plug in a machine or any other electrical device. It is much better to have plugs that are never used than to run an extension cord.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Standard materials and you

I found that layouts are easiest using good old low tech graph paper. I found it useful to do the following as well:

1. Templates of cabinets and such should be made with the doors/drawers in the open position.
    2. Make templates of materials you'll commonly use, 4x8 sheets, 12' boards, etc.
    3. Don't forget to make a template of YOURSELF!

The last one seems kind of silly, but it does make it easier to visualize using the shop. There are elaborate simulation programs out there, but the kid version works just fine. Pretend that you're making something and move your little template through the motions. Can you run a sheet of plywood through your saw without hitting anything? Can you walk between the machines comfortably? Figuring this out on paper will save you from of pushing iron around the shop.

Imagine you're doing a project. How many times do you have to walk around the saw to get what you need? Are there tables within close proximity to a better idea of how the shop will work than a static drawing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    If you have Visio, I found a template/stencil online that looks pretty well. On the Grizzily application, you only had Grizzly tools, and if you needed a tool that they don't make, you had to improvise. The Visio stuff had all of my tools except the Shopsmith Jigsaw mounted on a power station. It did have a Shopsmith Mk V and a radial arm saw. Also had a furnace and water heater!

Here's the link

Attaching one of his sample layouts
    Wow, Jerome, that's my shop! I actually helped him with some ideas for that template he did.
    Visio is a great tool for doing shop layout. The main drawback is that it is a pretty expensive program. I had it on my work laptop and did the drawing on that, otherwise I could not have done it.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-30-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

New Workshop

Moshe

Good luck with your new workshop, it looks like you have a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Eshel View Post
    Thought I'd update you on the state of things...

So here is a sketch up file of it's gonna look (with some tools that I don't own yet, and some that I do)

and here is a link to some building pictures (I need to update this, it is more advanced now...)

Yesterday my brother purchased the electricity supplies (cables, lights, switches and of course outlets - lots) for about $400, also got a DONATION of 3 nice windows, and maybe more if I ask... good northern lighting...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/meshel/M...eat=directlink

I would appriciate any tips or suggestions on storage and machine placement - the sketchup is to scale (meters).

Moshe