Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bolt stripping issue

I have to crank the bolt down on my PM 90 to keep the tail stock from moving and it has a 'tall' nut on it so there are lots of threads engaged. If there is room for a long nut, it might be the easiest fix. Also I don't think grade 8 is needed, grade 5 should be plenty tough. Stainless is not going to help either. Lightly sand the shine off the tailstock base to get a bit more grip.

it has the grip, i have never had it slip. the bottom of the ways on my lathe are now machined, they are cast, and they vary by 1/32-1/64 just enough that you can slid the tailstock then all the sudden it wont move and you have to loosen the bolt.

i just have a bad habit of liking things to be very tight. the last time i didnt make the tailstock very tight was at school, that was back when i had that 20 lbs peice of maple come off the lathe, because the tailstock came loose and i was spindle turning the peice.

thanks for the input. i got a harder bolt (which before it was said here, i thought that all bolts were equal unless you paid a bunch of money and ordered it special) and i got a finer thread (which is the opposite of what i thought i needed before i read that cool bolt site) once again thanks for your help everyone.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

The cast bottom of the ways may be part of your problem. When you are trying to tighten down against an uneven surface, you often have to tighten it down a lot more than you otherwise would in order to keep it from slipping. You might consider a little work with a file or grinder to smooth things off a bit.