Thread: Just had one of those days today (LONG)

Just had one of those days today (LONG)

Man, talk about most of it not going right. I have been spending the last three weeks doing handi-man stuff for a couple. Well today was the day to be done after about 60+ hours of work off and on, around rain. I had finished stripping about a bazillion layers of paint off an old door from a time long, long ago. The last coat was the worse and I am one to believe it must have been lead based paint or something. No stripper effects at all, so I sanded away. I really thought about the Festool, but decided that I just didn't want that type of dust ran through and used the PC. Anyways, got everything sanded clean and several coats of white paint. Had to strip the same amount of stuff off the old style, morticed lock assembly and buffed clean. Today I installed it without a hitch and was able to fine new hinges (nickel) that fit it perfectly. So I am thinking, what a great day. I'll be done by noon......

Well guess again. The last item on the list was removal and installation of a new storm door. So I am working away and realize that the opening is 79" tall, the door itself is 79.5". Go to Lowe's and the Larson rep's there, we discuss the problem and a new special built door is required. So back to the clients house to explain the problem and resolution. She's cool with it, so I'm thinking let's pack up the old (new) one. The neighbor lady comes out, next thing I know I am installing the door on her house. Hey what's another $100 anyways. Moving along great to find out after I have drilled the holes in the door for the handles and locking assembly, the bozo's sent the wrong templete with the door. Off by 1/4-3/8". I nibble away, all the time not really having the right tool needed (25 minutes one way from my house). Now, I realize the brass covers won't hide the holes. SO, get wise idea to take some brass and mill a new subplate. Client is OK with it and doesn't want to wait for a new door. Spend another 2 hours buying, driving and milling. Return and the damn things still don't fit right causing the lock to bind. After another hour, call it quits until Monday when I can get back over, since I am out of town for the next two days. So, in the end I have about 8-10 hours into the job and the cost of brass to cover, so I figure best case I'll make $8 an hour and totally frustrated..... urrgggggg. Of course this person has more work for me, but what a way to show off my skills..... And to everyone else in the neighborhood who came by wanting to know about my services.... what a day from Heck. First client can't say enough about my work, so all may not be lost.

One bright spot... I was at Lowe's yesterday and saw a sign for the DW680K on clearance for $83, but no stock. Today while in looking at doors, I noticed that one showed up, so I am a proud owner of a new DwWalt 3 1/4" portable planer. regular priced at $149. Also bought a DeWalt radio charger for $83, so two stealth gloats.
    Last edited by Scott Coffelt; 09-03-2004 at 10:09 PM.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    Also bought a DeWalt radio charger for $83, so two stealth gloats.
    Congrats on the charger score.

I've been looking at this also. The reason they were on clearance is that Dewalt came out with a new model. The newer version has a digital tuner, 4 preset buttons and built in CD carrying-case. I sorta figure that'll be a good christmas+birthday "wish list" item.

"Gee honey - it's really just an oversized charger."
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 09-04-2004 at 7:23 AM.

I've had days like that in the biz....not much you can do to curb the frustration, but I will tell you that the final product's appearance is all that counts. Most people will say "he stayed with it til it worked, he's great!"

Thanks Kelly.

Rob, does the new one have a CD player also? I saw it but thought it was just a radio, if it does I'd rather have it even if it's more $$'s.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Wow Scott,

Been there, done that, bought that tee shirt. Funny how those no brainers turn in to a nightmare. I've had Mr Murphy as my co pilot on a number of easy quick projects.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 09-04-2004 at 11:49 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Well heck Scott. I thought I was the only one with those days.

Mine has been this dreaded boat project. Started out just re-doing some cabinet doors that did not fit after the original cabinet maker quit the job.
    Then it was on to installing them. HUH?? Ok.
    Then it was on to remaking the 4 inside doors that were not finished, and did not fit. Then some trim, then another door, then latches. On and on.
    This started out to be a two day job I could squeeze in between jobs, and it had drug out for two weeks, and still trying to finish some odds and ends up.

Steve

Scott-

My lamentations, actually, for both of us. For you, they are for what you have experienced (but surely will never have to endure again.) For me, they are for the job I'm commencing which will unquestionably track your frustrations in its own unique way, but I have to get it under my belt, so I can rest assured such things will never happen again.

Jack
    Why eat natural foods when most people die of natural causes?