Thread: Vapor Mask Good as a Dust Mask

Vapor Mask Good as a Dust Mask

I am wondering if an organic vapor mask such as appropriate for painting can serve double duty as a shop dust mask. Does anyone know why one would need both?

That'ss what I use. See no reason why you would need both. The good vapor type masks use charcoal filter and a PRE-filter the Pre-filter is as good as most if not all dusk masks.

Hint: Keep it in a seal gallon size plastic bag to extend the life of the vapor filter. They are usually good for 8-10 hours; they work sitting on the bench too. Seal em up.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I don't know what mask you have but mine can accept either vapor canisters or vapor canisters. I wouldn't want to use the vapor canisters for dust as the vapor canisters deteriorate when exposed to air. The organic filters are more expensive and it seems to make sence to protect them and use them only for their intended purpose.

I'm also not sure that vapor filters are rated for the same dust particle filtration as special purpose dust filters. I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 07-27-2009 at 4:15 PM.
    Howie.........

The 3M masks have interchangeable cartridges. Also, the face piece itself is very inexpensive (<$10.) I just bought a second one to use with the dust filters.

I guess I wasn't clear. My organic/vapor canisters/cartridges stay in sealed bag, unless I need them. The other canisters/cartridges are used for dust.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

David, I did a lot of Industrial Hygiene when my submarine was in the shipyard and learned a lot about respirators. We used a variety of masks but the 3M 6000 series half mask was the most used (we also used the 6000 series full face mask).

For painting we fitted them with black organic vapor filters, then a small milk-white adapter piece, then pink particulate filters. We never used them with just the OV filters alone. This would keep the charcoal from clogging up from dust (and yes, you must store them in a sealed plastic bag).

For welding/chipping/grinding and general dust protection we would use them with just the pink particulate filters (we didn't use the white filters).

This is what I use in my shop and have several half masks and a full mask:

The mask is the 3M 6000 series half mask ($10.50):

3M 6200.jpg

The Organic Vapor cartridges are the 6001 ($8.50):

3M 6001.jpg

The adapter so you can put the particulate filters onto the OV cartridges is the 502 ($3.50):

3M 502.jpg

The particulate filters are the 2091 (these are rated for welding) ($5.25):

3M 2091.jpg

The standard particulate filters are the 2071 ($3.25):

3M 2071.jpg

I don't use the 2071's because I also weld and try to keep things standardized. For the extra couple of bucks, I don't ever have to worry about sucking in welding fumes. I do have the full face version (with protector films for the face piece) that I use when spraying.

Be well,

Doc

Dust/Particulate masks vs Vapor masks

Thanks, all, for the information. I now understand the difference and see that the vapor masks require maintenance to preserve their own volatile absorption substances--not a good all 'round solution.

Don's recommendation seems a good approach--a mask with different filters for dust and vapor. That 3M 6000 series half mask system that can adapt to various uses seems just right for my purposes.