Thread: A batch of tools

A batch of tools

I've been wanting to try the Easy Rougher tools but couldn't afford them. So, I bought the cutters from him and made my own. I would definitely buy the tools from him if I could, but at least he's making money on the cutters. I will say, they work great! I would highly recommend buying them from him. I also got one of the new Hunter #1 cutters from WC, and made a tool to use in the bottom of my small boxes. As you can see in the pics I've been using the Easy Roughers and they work as advertised.
    Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Nice job Chris. I've always enjoyed making my own tools too. Sometimes it's the only way to get what you need.
    Dave
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.

Great looking tools Chris! Glad to hear they work well!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Those look way too good! Please set up a site and start selling those. Do you accept credit cards?
    Well done,
    Norm

Those are some nice looking tools Chris. Glad to hear that they work well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

chris, you make great tools! can't wait to see the turnings that come from them. mike

what size screw did you used for the easy rougher bit????
    I've made my own hunter tool.....and if you use a 1/8" dirll bit to tap it you will break the tap. for the #4 hunter bit use a 8-32 machine screw and use a 29 drill bit and a 3-32 tap. I'm not sure what size the 29 bit is, but to tap a screw the drill bit needed is usually a 32 or 64.
    My hunter tool works so good I put my boring bar jig away. With a tiny bit of metal working knowledge there is no way people should be paying hundreds for hollowing rigs. Boring bars are cheap on grizzly.com and with a tap and die kit you can easily and cheaply make a jamieson type system in a few hours.

For my hunter tool the sorby bits will fit the 8-32 screw so I can switch between the hunter bit and the sorby internal shear scraper to clean up. If you have problems with your hollowing tools bounncing around and catching and making it a real job to hollow there is a box sold by grizzly that is a boring bar holder that is square and will set on your rest and give you alot of stability. I guess it's and old trick. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bori...ries-200/G5701

Great looking tools Chris. Making your own tools is much more satisfying then giving someone your credit card number

Thanks for the nice comments guys!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

You sure have been busy!

Chris, It looks like you have been very busy in the tool making department! Good to see a nice lady like yourself getting in there and doing some fine work! Thanks for sharing and I know you are an inspiration for other women to get thier hands dirty! The Vortex is and equal opportunity addiction!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown