Thread: Forms - critique, pls

Forms - critique, pls

These are an homage, I'd have to say, to the work of a woodworker who I know absolutely nothing about. I saw 2 wood forms on a brochure from Behr paints, and thought they were fantastic. Don't know if they were turned, carved, hollowed or solid. The smaller one here, about 7" tall, is Virginia cherry and has a drilled hole to be used as a twig pot; the taller one, Plum, aslo from Virginia, is about 11" tall - no hole, simply a form to look at. I couldn't get the curves quite right, but like them, anyway. I turned them today, applied 1 coat of teak oil. Will put a couple more coats on in the days to come, and buff when cured. Enjoy! Mike (yes, i know, the photography is terrible; must make a photo box).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 07-19-2009 at 5:24 PM.

Mike!

I've taken lots of photos without a tent, and most often get a flash reflection. You've avoided that any how. Your forms remind me of some of the old bottles. You have executed them beautifly in any case.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Mike, Since you asked, I would prefer more curvature to the sides to give more of the "whisky bottle" look. Your higher angle picture creates the illusion of that shape to some extent. But that's just an opinion.
    Richard in Wimberley

Yeah, it needs more curvature, the bottom shouldn't be as wide as the widest part of the vase.

Quote Originally Posted by alex carey View Post
    Yeah, it needs more curvature, the bottom shouldn't be as wide as the widest part of the vase.
    Exactly.. they are nice.. "but" the foot might need to be just a 1/4" MAYBE 1/2" smaller?
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

i appreciate the comments, don't get me wrong - but these are not bottles, they are 'forms'; based on someone else's work. i found them elegant as abstracts in their own right. mike

If you're going to go abstract, or "artsy". Why not do your own thing instead of copying someone elses unique idea, or at least put your own twist on it, throw in a small cove here, and a bead at the top, maybe make it into a box which would still have the shape, but would be a useful abstract form. Personally my favorite abstract turnings are carved. or use mult axis work. I think an off center piece in the shape of a question mark would be cool.

brian, mostly because my imagination is very limited, if i do say so myself. i really liked the forms, so wanted to have something like them in my house. i have a great desire to create things, but as i said, my own creativity is limited. thanks for comments, though, mike
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 07-20-2009 at 2:24 PM.

Brian: Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Mike: I love them Mike, pretty wood, soft basic forms. I was wondering if you'd thought of making them into boxes? would be a neat twist since they're shaped like old whiskey bottles .

phil, (you're last name is great - ever see the movie? haha ). anyway, yes, i did wonder if i put a tenon on both ends if i could hollow the main body, and glue the bottom back on - i may try that yet. not knowing anything about the originals i was emulating, i don't know if they were solid or hollow - but i'm going to try and find out. mike

First off I apologize for anything offending that I said.

that being said,

I had a dream last night that an old friend from high school who was born in scotland came out of the kitchen with a huge woodturned platter with your pieces in the middle and surounded by goblets. He then told me that I owed him money for your pieces since they were imported from glasgow....

sorry, about my comments yesterday, it was the dumb bohemian coming out. My dad always said that the only people smarter than bohemians (cxechs) are polish.......

It kinda looks like a mallet. well the plum, i like the wood though, not too much the form
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!