Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why and How? Sanding in Reverse.

Why and How? Sanding in Reverse.

I've heard many people recommend sanding in reverse mode. Haven't done it yet. On both of my lathes, PM 3520B and Nova DVR, reverse is possible, but I would have to tighten a grub screw in order for the chuck to stay on. The one time I did that, the screw made a pretty big indentation and I'm hesitant to do that again.
    What's the advantage of sanding in reverse?
    Any way not to mess w/headstock spindle in doing so?
    Thanks, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Hilel - I use reverse when sanding each and every time. What I find is that the wood fibers have a tendency to lay down - in one direction - when sanding and that if I use reverse as a last step it removes most of those fibers. Real easy way to check on this - after you have your turning sanded feel the freshly sanded wood. Should be extremely smooth when touching in the direction of spin on the lathe - but - when you feel the wood in the opposite direction is feels slightly rough. Using reverse as that last step removes those last fibers and makes it glassy smooth. It does make a difference.

As far as the grub screw marking the spindle - yup, it happens. Won't hurt the lathe - so be sure to tighten it down!

HTH
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I do the same as Steve does ..Hilel, up to 600 grit then use brown paper bag both direcitons at about 200 to 300 rpm to burnish / polish the surface before starting the finish . I tighten up my chuck ( no I do not use the grub/set screw unless turning in reverse with a gouge or rough sanding , I have cleared a section on the spindle for the set screw to lock in and filed the thread in that area so as not to gall the chuck etc . works quite well actually especally when rough sanding to 400 grit).
    John 3:16

You can buy brass,nylon or silver tipped set screws from McMaster-Carr. These screws won't damage your spindle or threads.

I sand in reverse to flow the dust into the collector and away from myself. If I really want to do a good sanding job, I alternate directions between grits.

is it necessary to reverse if you're using a power sander?

I use two methtods of power sanding; a drill, and a Grex pneumatic Random Orbit Sander. This applies to both:

Sanding the outside of a bowl on my 3520B I go in reverse. I have never used grub screws and in over two years have not had a chuck work its way loose. Even if it did, I would catch it long before it spun all the way off the spindle, b/c sanding is done at slow speeds. Additionally, as Burt pointed out, the reverse direction routs the dust directly into the dust port sitting behind/above the workpiece.

The inside of the bowl is another matter. I used to go in reverse there as well, then one day I experimented with going in "normal" direction and for some reason it just worked more smoothly. Less grabbing, and I even noticed that the dust was being more easily thrown towards the port.

So, I guess you could call me a hybrid.
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 07-19-2009 at 2:51 PM.

I never reverse faceplate work. Just reverse the drill/sander. On spindles I do reverse couple of grits. Seems to give a smoother feel.

Reverse sanding!

Hilel,
    Another way to reverse sand is to reverse chuck the item. Also you can raise the grain by dampening the piece, (wipe down with a damp rag).. Good luck.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

i, too, use reverse sanding to smooth my turnings - also, do you wipe them with water to raise the grain, and sand again? burnishing, when appropriate, is also a wonderful option. mike

Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    i, too, use reverse sanding to smooth my turnings - also, do you wipe them with water to raise the grain, and sand again? burnishing, when appropriate, is also a wonderful option. mike
    absolutely. The water seems ro stnd those suckers up so your sander can get at them better. This even helps without the reverseing, but not as much as that does. You read in a previous post about those fibers that stand up, these are what you are after. And once more, I stress "a damp rag or paper towel. I was taought this method in HS shop some years ago for flatwork.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

To keep the grub screw from deforming the headstock threads, drop a #4 buckshot or .177 airgun pellet in the hole before inserting the grub screw.

i discovered reverse sanding a while back, couldnt believe the difference it makes.

Used set screw once, hated it!

Hilel, I use the 3520B in reverse all the time and have never had the chuck or faceplate come loose. If the mating surfaces of the chuck and lathe are clean and smooth, which they should be that connection will get pretty tight. Like also stated you are normally sanding at much slower speeds than when turning. I have an old Sioux angle drill that I use for power sanding and I put it in reverse while sanding inside the bowl when the lathe is going forward and vise versa when going reverse on lathe, drill is in forward position. Dampening after 400 grit seems to get all the little fibers to stand up and be removed then on to 600 or more or stop right there. Some woods will not have as many tool and sanding marks to remove due to thier hardness or because they are more porous, like oak and ash. The only time I used the set screw it seemed to get tighter and I almost could not get it out of the chuck on the spindle and that was the last time I ever used one, 5 years ago! Just make sure everything is tight.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

No reverse

My lathe does not have a reverse. Would standing on the other side of the lathe not be the same as the lathe running in reverse??