Thread: OT installing laminate countertops

OT installing laminate countertops

I am installing new formica countrtops. The previous counters were nail from the top then the laminate was placed over the plywood base. The cabinets are 3/4 ply with cross pieces every 2 to 3 feet(front to back). How would you atttach the new counter. Liquid nails or some sort of block of wood (cut down 2x4)that is attached to the cabinets side then the countertop.

Both seem to have problems in my eyes but I am not an expert by no means. The liquid nails seems to be a very minor contact surface and the screwing into the counter tops made of particle board just does seem strong to me.

any suggestos are welcome including types of screws or brackets instead of my home made L-shaped cut down 2 X4's.
    Rob

Rob,

I am in the process of re-installing some used cabinets in a rental, and they had the formica tops glued on with some type adhesive. It was on there for over 20 years and held just fine.

That is how I am going to attach the new one.

Rick Potter

I've always used liquid nail. It's more than enough to hold the top down...besides...the weight of a counter-top is usually enough to keep it from wanting to move much on it's own.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    liquid nail is fine. i use to screw the tops down but the liquid nail is quicker. just make sure that the top is seated firmly on the cabinets. putting weight where needed as well.....jack

I screw all mine down

as sometimes there are places that won't lay flat. I make provisions on my cabinets so the top can be screwed down from the underside, front, back, and ends. I use plywood to make my tops, [no particleboard] and ply isn't quite as flat as particle board. Sometimes ply is a little warpie, so it needs pulled down. Steve