Thread: Henry Taylor Kryo vs Hamlet ASP

Henry Taylor Kryo vs Hamlet ASP

I have a couple of Hamlet tools, one ASP 2060 and one HSS, and I really like them...I like the handles, the feel of the tools, etc. I am looking at adding a couple of tools to my inventory and had initially only looked at Hamlet. Because of a comment I saw somewhere else, I have now started thinking about the Taylor Kryo tools. Other than the information I can find on Taylor's website and Hamlet's website, I can't find any information comparing the Hamlet ASP to the Taylor Kryo. Has anyone used both tools and have any thoughts comparing them? The steel, the feel of the tools (which I know is highly individual), their ability to retain an edge, their durability, etc?

Why don't you take a look at the Thompson Tools? I have a couple of his bowl gouges, spindel gouges and skew. I have a Hamlet 2060 and like the Thompson's better. His are Kryo and they hold a edge longer than any other tool I have. No interest just a very satisfied customer.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have some of both

Charles, I have some of each brand of tools and I like them both pretty equally. The hamlet tools are spindle gouges and a standard grind bowl gouge. I have a 1/4" Kyro standard grind bowl gouge and a 1/8" straight sided parting tool. The 2060 holds an edge a bit longer but not so much to make a big deal out of it. I just bought a "Pinnacle" 3/8" spindle gouge to replace my Hamlet 2060 3/8" spindle gouge and for the price of $35 it does a wonderful job and I like the black handles on the "Pinnacles" They are sold at wood craft and I will most likely buy another. I think if you want to get a good tool (unhandled) go with the Thompson's. I have heard nothing but great things about them, and as soon as I need a new bowl gouge that will be my next purchase.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown