Thread: Sassafras

Sassafras

I returned home today to find my favorite tree lying all over the back yard of my house. Felled by a freak storm last night.

It was a huge majestic tree - I loved it -- it was the focal point of the yard.

I am very lucky in that it did very little damage. I built a brick and tile outdoor kitchen a few years ago and the tree fell directly on it -- just missing all the built appliances. Unbelievable!

So -- how is Sassafras to turn?? I should try to make something out of it.

I love turning sassafras. Turns nice and smells good. I have bought quite a bit.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yup what Bernie said--------don't let it get to dry before you use it.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

It's nice for flat work too.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I have made a couple of pens with it. Turns great. Also made a small hall table with it for the top. Looks nice with the walnut legs.

Tom, bummer on the tree coming down, but it could be very nice for turning. In fact, I'd be interested in trading you a couple hunks of nice cherry from the one a storm brought down recently here for a couple hunks of that sassafras. I only have some little, tiny sassafras on the property.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well ........ The first estimate to remove the tree is $1800.00

Jim -- this occurred at my house in NJ. Two thirds of the tree broke away leaving part of the tree still standing. The part that fell is sitting like a seesaw on my BBQ - if it goes down on either side I am in trouble.

I have to figure out what is the best way to take care of this -- my chain saw is too small.

Jim I certainly can get you a section. But many of the "hunks" that I have received from others ended up having cracks in them -- what is the best way to go about getting good wood.

The tree diameter is too large to cary a very large section?

Darn, I sure wish Eureka was closer to you. I'd be there in a flash for some of that wood...Bill..

Thumbs up

I've never turned the stuff Tom, but it works great as furniture grade lumber....smells good, works good, looks good...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Tom - I wish you luck in removing the tree! For $1800 I would buy a larger chainsaw and do it myself - but - I don't know your situation and how large the tree actually is. Should make some great turnings! Make sure once you cut the wood to seal the fresh cut ends with anchorseal - or something to keep the wood from drying out to fast and cracking.

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Loretto, Ontario (in the sticks, north of Toronto)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Godley View Post
    Well ........ The first estimate to remove the tree is $1800.00
    A couple of suggestions, since I cut trees on the side.

First and foremost, don't let ego get in the way of safety. If you have even the slightest doubt if you can do it yourself, don't.

Second, obviously, get a couple more quotes. It sounds like a tricky fall, so your quotes may be a bit higher than you may expect.

Third, is it possible to claim it through home owner's insurance?

Good luck with the turning.
    Regards,

Chris

Part of the fee will probably be disposing of the wood, so tell them you want to keep anything over 8", and get it sealed quickly after it is cut.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I haven't worked with it but I hear it smells great so give it a go. And if you'd like some pepper full of burls I could trade you for some of your stuff. And it's a bummer it fell and did that damage. Good luck getting it cut up cheap or yourself.
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Love it.

It's great for use in all areas of woodworking, though its color tone is a little drab. However, I have found some spectacular figure in crotch pieces, and I recommend that you definitely keep those around.

Hutch

I've heard it called 'poor man's chestnut' before. I don't think it looks that much like chestnut, but it looks nice for sure. A friend's kitchen cabinets are sasfrass. Nice wood for certain, and a large one is certainly not common. I've not seen any much larger than about a foot or so around. Steve is right about the removal. Buy a good chainsaw with at least a 20" or larger bar, and don't look back. Get anchorseal on the ends as soon as you can, and keep it out of the sun to keep it from checking badly. If you have some nice long straight sections, it might be worth having those milled--lots of folks will come to your house and saw your wood for you, certainly for a lot less than $1800!!!

Be safe, and get yourself a pair of kevlar chaps along with the new chainsaw. You ought to be able to outfit yourself with a great saw, maybe Stihl MS361 or 390, husqvarna 357XP or 455, as well as chaps, helmet, gloves and boots for less than half of your quoted removal cost.