Thread: Be Carefull -- Woodturning Fatality

Be Carefull -- Woodturning Fatality

For those of you who may have missed the story, a woodturner in Waterdown, Ontario, died in a woodturning accident Monday, July 13th. While working at the lathe, a piece of wood broke off and hit him in the head.

Here's a link to the article in the local newspaper: http://www.flamboroughreview.com/news/article/267516

That is a sad story to hear. That is why I never walk in to my shop to turn without my trend on. It hangs right by the door.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I am walking proof

Dave, Thanks for the reminder that all tools can be dangerous! When the bowl flew apart that hit me in the head and gave me 28 stitches for my experience. You learn real fast! There are some times that no matter what you are wearing that bad things can happen. It does not say how large the wood was or anything else so we don't know the whole story. But safety first no matter what! A friend of mine crashed his bicycle and had on a very spendy helmet, but he hit a steel gaurd rail right on the edge of the rail. He died instantly, so one never knows. We just do the best we can.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

What a horrible story.

Last summer I amputated part of my middle finger on a jointer.
    It's too bad, but it almost takes a bad accident for alot of people to learn safety.

Prayers go out to his family.

I would like to know if he had a face shield on, I didn't see that in the article. I have the Triton Helmet/Faceshield, but I don't really use it when turning green wood, I use it mostly when sanding. While turning green wood, I just use a regular faceshield (AT ALL TIMES), but I just wonder if the Triton Helmet would be safer than the faceshield. Just curious. One day I would like to get the new Trend because I think I would like not having to mess with the hose and the filter/motor assembly on my waist, but again the Triton seems like it would be safer in a situation of some wood flying off the lathe since it covers the whole head. Pros and Cons to all of them I guess.

Jeff

Accidents happen all the time on lathes but most do not take a life! My heart and prayers go out to his family. Wish there was some additional information as exactly what he was doing that could shed light on what caused the accident. The only thing we can do is be aware and think things through before we turn!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Got hit with a bowl in the chest, hurt like hell and gave me a myocardial contusion.

Safety first.

Like what Brian said, a bad accident is what it takes to learn from. A buddy of mine that was on my wrestling team died from binge drinking. It sucks, and that's a stupid way to go out.

Too bad for that guy that died from turning. I've heard of wearing a catchers mask for protection. Be safe guys
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Blog Entries
    This is why I don't have safety glasses in my shop. Not even one pair. It's full face shield only. That's a very unfortunate event. I'll say a prayer for him and his family. What a way to go.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Kind of makes me want to go and buy one of theses, ballistic face sheild for $465. A lot cheaper than stitches...

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    This is why I don't have safety glasses in my shop. Not even one pair. It's full face shield only. That's a very unfortunate event. I'll say a prayer for him and his family. What a way to go.
    To be properly protected you wear safety glasses under the face shield.

Wear safety glasses under your face mask. I have not heard of a face mask that offers safety protection. Read the literature that came with your mask. I would almost stake my life on a bet...I bet it says wear safety glasses also.

The previous was words from your friendly SMC eye doc.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    So. Calif. 5 miles to ocean