Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone cut their Incra 1000se, for 45s

Anyone cut their Incra 1000se, for 45s

I had a chance to pick up a 1000se at a very good price so I got it. Looks really good so far, there are some things I don't like to well but it still looks good.

One thing that really disappointed me was the fact that you can not tilt the blade over with it and cut angles. So I was thinking of just cutting it off at a 45 like my EB-3 is.

What do you think.
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 07-17-2009 at 12:09 AM.

45s

Why dont you just put a sacrificial board on there?
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

Quote Originally Posted by James Williams 007 View Post
    Why dont you just put a sacrificial board on there?
    But you would have to move the main fence over so far to do that. I am not sure you could move it over that far and still have all 3 of the bolts holding it.

I have the predecessor to to the 1000SE I think

It came with about an 18" fence and no flip stop mechanism. I found the fence design awkward. I thought it was silly and rolled my own fence with 3/4" ply and 2 pieces of aluminum T track, one in back to attach the fence to the miter gauge and one along the top for a stop. My miter gauge has 2 bolts that hold the fence to the miter gauge body. I replaced the original allen screws with T nuts and knobs so I don't need the "screwdriver" to move the fence. There's no reason to limit yourself to one fence if you don't want to, have one fence beveled and one not.

HTH

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I had a chance to pick up a 1000se at a very good price so I got it. Looks really good so far, there are some things I don't like to well but it still looks good.

One thing that really disappointed me was the fact that you can not tilt the blade over with it and cut angles. So I was thinking of just cutting it off at a 45 like my EB-3 is.

What do you think.
    That's why I started using my Incra on the "other" side of the blade so I could have support right up next to the blade

Personally I don't think it's that big of a deal because you're talking about what, 2.5" of unsupported wood if you have the blade beveled at a 45?

But, I don't see why you couldn't cut the fence at a 45.

I'm very happy with my 1000se and like the design a lot.

Use the fence Luke

Talking Good One!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    That pretty funny. I have a slight nick on the bottom of my 1000se fence. It has served as a good reminder. I love the photo... laughed out loud.
    Gary

Blog Entries
    When I cut bevels using my 1000SE, I take off the incra fence completely and mount a sacraficial board as the fence. I then do the stop blocks the old fashioned way.

As a matter of fact, I rarely use the fence that came with it. But, I do like the miter and I do cut a lot of 45's with it.....

I nearly cut my 1000SE in half. It was a week or so after I bought it so I wasn't accustom to using it. I needed to put the miter to the right of the blade (don't remember why) and without hesitation I shifted sides and pushed it right into the blade. Yeah, you can get away with that with the standard gauge.

This happened for the same reason mentioned by Doug in his linked thread - I was so focused on the point of cut that I didn't follow the cut line back to see the HUGE fence sitting there waiting to be bitten.

In regards to the 45 cuts though, I always put the keeper piece on the left (left-tilt saw) so I don't have the potential to trap the cut-off piece under the blade. I guess this thought process also helps remind me to slide the fence back. Though now I'm thinking...why not cut the fence at 45?

Doug - does yours still have the partial cut or did you finish it all the way through?

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    I nearly cut my 1000SE in half. It was a week or so after I bought it so I wasn't accustom to using it. I needed to put the miter to the right of the blade (don't remember why) and without hesitation I shifted sides and pushed it right into the blade.
    Doc
    Boy, I'm glad I'VE never done anything like that

Did I mention that roll-your-own fences are a good idea?

Destroy evidence? Me??

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    ....Doug - does yours still have the partial cut or did you finish it all the way through?

Doc
    It still looks just like the pic.
    Use the fence Luke

I worked with it some more tonight and it looks like I would have to move it back 2 1/2 inches to clear the blade on a 45 degree cut.

It is kind of funny they talk about the stop having things that go into the fence so that noting will go behind it but then the last thing they show you is how to put on a face on it and covers the part were the stop would go into the fence.

I really like the way you can set the degrees and the stop is very good but I think I am just going to sell it. I don't see that I am going to gain anything with it over the EB-3.

I like my EB-3 real well and does a very good job. I have a V27 I use also so I guess I will just keep what I have.

Blog Entries
    Bill, I accidentally nicked my fence once. I put a "beater" carbide tipped blade on and sawed it off even. The material cut very well. A bit of file or sandpaper work to ease the sharp edges and all was well. If you want to, I say cut it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My fence came about one inch shorter than the usual length . Or might it have been sacrificed in the name of woodworking?