Thread: Shop Made Inertia Sander

Shop Made Inertia Sander

After being dissatisfied with both the Sorby and Monster inertia sanders (I may be doing something wrong - my technique may be off, but I have no one around to compare with) - I decided to make my own. After only a few uses, I found the 'store bought' ones didn't rotate as well as they did when brand new. I based this on a couple of designs I found on the 'net - using two ball bearings, spacer, a 1/4" bolt and a nylon lock nut and a piece of alder finished with BLO - haven't used it yet, but will let you all know if I have the same problem with my home made one. Oh, the 1/2" foam is from a sleeping bag pad, 2" in diameter, backed with plywood and has some industrial velcro stuck to it. Getting the thru-hold and 'mortises' for the bearings was made simple by using my OneWay Drill Wizard. Figure it cost me almost $3 to make. Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 07-15-2009 at 8:21 PM.

Loretto, Ontario (in the sticks, north of Toronto)
    Mike,

I was wondering what kind and size of ball bearings you used. I'm wondering if you used a single row deep groove bearing or some other type like an miniature bearing?

What is the actual number on the bearing? Does it say something like R 168 BZZ or something similar?
    Regards,

Chris

Inertia sanders!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    After being dissatisfied with both the Sorby and Monster inertia sanders (I may be doing something wrong - my technique may be off, but I have no one around to compare with) - I decided to make my own. After only a few uses, I found the 'store bought' ones didn't rotate as well as they did when brand new. I based this on a couple of designs I found on the 'net - using two ball bearings, spacer, a 1/4" bolt and a nylon lock nut and a piece of alder finished with BLO - haven't used it yet, but will let you all know if I have the same problem with my home made one. Oh, the 1/2" foam is from a sleeping bag pad, 2" in diameter, backed with plywood and has some industrial velcro stuck to it. Getting the thru-hold and 'mortises' for the bearings was made simple by using my OneWay Drill Wizard. Figure it cost me almost $3 to make. Mike
    When I began looking for a similar sander, I had already been warned "off" the Sorby because of its steel on bronze bearings. So I bought the PSI tool. I decided to modify it to ball bearings because the head was big enough to insert small router bearings, (3/8 x 1/8 in) These were available from several venders. and after they came,I disasembled the PSI tool to discover that it already had those very bearings already installed. I would reccomend for those of us who do not have the means to make the tool as is posted here that hte PSI Is a very excellant tool on its own, and also to try one of the 2" or 3" heads in a small electric drill as has been discussed here frequently. I use the drill sander most often.
    Bob
    Last edited by robert hainstock; 07-16-2009 at 9:02 AM. Reason: clean up
    Bob Hainstock

samall bearings!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Zona View Post
    Mike,

I was wondering what kind and size of ball bearings you used. I'm wondering if you used a single row deep groove bearing or some other type like an miniature bearing?

What is the actual number on the bearing? Does it say something like R 168 BZZ or something similar?
    Eagle America.com or most any router bit vendor can supply small lubed for life bearings. I reccomend 3/8 x 1/8in.
    I wpould use two with at least a 3/16in spacer between.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Zona View Post
    Mike,

I got the bearings from 'vxb.com'; these are inexpensive, about $10 for 8 of them, accepting a 1/4" bolt or rod. Overall diameter is 7/8", and are simple ball bearings, far as I know. I'll look on them for any numbers when I get home tonight. Mike

i've gotta say, this thing works GREAT. spins like a bat out of hell, leaves a great finish at 320. the sanding backer pad does want to unscrew; i've chased it a time or two, so i think i'll put some thread-lock on it. should be fine after that. this one is better for the outside of bowls, and spindle work - i'll have to make one with a little less acute angle so it fits in a bowl better - maybe a longer bolt to get some distance between handle and sandpaper, too. mike