Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use face shields when routing?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    no. I squint.
    Hey, that's better than closing your eyes when making the cut.

I've gotten to the point that I put safety glasses on all of the large machinery around the shop and keep ear protection on the loud pieces of equipment. I figure if I have to pick up safety glasses to get them out of the way, I might as well just put them on my face.

I also used to buy the cheaper protective equipment. They were either uncomfortable or hard to see out of or whatever. Then, they wouldn't get used. Now I spend a couple of bucks more for better stuff and I'm sure I'll use it.

3. face shield

I wear a full face shield when using the lathe, I have prescription safty glasses for the rest.
    Harold

Blog Entries
    I wear prescription safety glasses so they are always on. I can't think of a time I had my face in the line of fire of the "spoil" coming off a router ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

5. Any recommendations on a face shield? I'm thinking I'm probably pushing my luck with just my glasses ...

I double up, safety classes, then either the face shield or the helmet airshield for the dusty stuff like routing or sanding on the lathe. Safety glasses are as I walk in the door or on the head before I go in. I have a few spares for the forgetful moments or visitors

Louis

I use a face shield when routing. Like Doc (Don Abele), I also took a piece of a router bit when it broke. (I get pretty close to the work when routing.)
    Buy a quality face shield with replaceable shields and you won't regret the purchase one bit. Stay away from the cheapo's.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

8. I use a 3M full face respirator 6000 Series mask and filter. Probably as effective as a ventilated mask, but not as comfortable in hot weather, although cheaper.

I wear prescription safety glasses for the most part. Also, my router table fence has a bit guard, which is almost always in place. Most of the material coming from routing will be coming off horizontally and not aimed at you.

One piece of advice on face shields -- never sneeze while wearing one. DAMHIKT.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Always Use a Face Shield

I always use my face shield over my safety glasses when using my router. I have a table top router and the bit is fairly close to my face when I run my router table.

Face shield. Why not protect your face and eyes from the chips and dust? Also, what if your cutter comes appart? Might as well protect your face and neck. Luckily I have never blown up a cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barnett View Post
    Something you might consider...When I know there's a good chance something is going to hit me, I put on a chainsaw helmet.
    When I know there's a good chance something is going to hit me, I duck. But my wife is agile, crafty, and accurate, particularly when she sees the tool bills.

I hurt myself enough in the shop when I'm NOT doing 'risky' stuff. If it's dangerous enough to warrant kevlar, that's a sign that I probably should find a different way to do it.

No I don't. I have 21 routers and I use them all. If you are looking at the router bit you are doing it wrong in my estimation. I keep my face above the router and nothing has hit my face in 34 years of woodworking. I listen to the router and pay close attention to the feel, but I never, never look at the bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    ...I never, never look at the bit....
    Larry, this confuses me.

If you are not looking at the bit, where are you looking? To me, this is like saying you don't look at the saw blade when making a cut on the table saw or bandsaw? I can't think of a single cutting action when I would not be looking at the blade/cutter/bit/etc.

I don't have as many routers as you, nor have I been using them for as long as you, so can you clear up my confusion.

Be well,

Doc

Looking at the bit does you absolutely no good and is dangerous.

Why would you look at the bit? A router has absolutely nothing to do with a tablesaw other than they both cut wood.

I may be looking at the wall, or I could have my eyes closed, it makes no difference. The work piece should be secured, and your cuts thought out with all grain problems noted, and then you make the cut by feel and sound. If you are looking at the bit you are not in the right position to be safe as you can not have control. Get your body over the router, forget looking at the bit and pay attention.

Properly running a router is a lot like learning how to use a hand plane, you have to learn to pay closer attention to your other senses, the senses of touch and hearing. You have to pay attention to the grain, because despite what the books say, there are many times you need to climb cut. And all of this without looking at the bit, both hands on the router and your body mass anchored over the router.

So no, I do not ever look at the bit, my head is above the router motor, and I do not feel the need for safety glasses.

To each his own, the OP asked if we wore safety glasses when routing. I don't.