Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glaser website down

glaser website down

have you all noticed that the glaser/hitec website is down? i guess that really marks the end of their involvement with making and selling turning tools (although this a.m. i bought a 1/2" V10 bedan online from a vendor who still has 4 more, different V10's for sale - no gouges, though - rats). mike

why did they stop?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

haven't noticed 'cause I haven't cared about glasers since Jerry retired.
    time to move on, isn't it?
    Sascha

it's a subject i'm somewhat interested in and am just making conversation about - if you're not interested in talking about it, why bother to post?

ditto about the dont care since you cant buy them anymore. but why did they go out of buisness? why not just sell the company?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

"ditto about the don't care"? don't you talk about things that interest you, even though they 'aren't being made anymore'? (and as i said, packard woodworks has a few V10 tools available, still). he did sell the company; do a google search and get your own answers to your questions.

So, Mike, does this vendor have any V15 tools left???? I know they don't, but I can wish, right? I have a couple powder metal gouges; after seeing the difference between HSS and powder metal in the Crown pro-prm, and the difference between that and the 2060 packard steel, I'd love to be an owner of some V15 steel!! From what I understand, they were quite expensive--over $250 for a 5/8 or 3/4" bowl gouge. Sounds like it might be worth it---I like heavy handles. They help me dampen any slight vibrations during very light finish cuts for smooth slides across the toolrest.

nathan, i believe the fellow at highland woodworks told me they have a 3/8" bedan, a 1" skew, and two beading tools (3/8" & 1/2") left, all V10. i asked about the V15 specifically, and no soap. no gouges left, either - these may be the last glaser V10's left on the planet, for all i know. i agree with you on the crown pro-pm; my ellsworth grind gouge from them is my favorite turning tool i have. mike
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 07-13-2009 at 3:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    nathan, i believe the fellow at highland woodworks told me they have a 3/8" bedan, a 1" skew, and two beading tools (3/8" & 1/2") left, all V10. i asked about the V15 specifically, and no soap. no gouges left, either - these may be the last glaser V10's left on the planet, for all i know. i agree with you on the crown pro-pm; my ellsworth grind gouge from them is my favorite turning tool i have. mike
    Thanks for the info. My next gouge will be a thompson--the new Bill Grumbine signature series extra long gouge is right up my alley! I have a 2060 packard gouge that is just about too short to be balanced now. Its got about another inch or so of sharpening before I order a new one.

nathan, i have 1 thompson gouge, a 3/8 detail; i'll be buying a 3/4 thompson 'u' gouge next; in a month or so, gotta stay in that wood budget! when i bought my 3/8 V10 bowl gouge last year, if i had known they would be so scarce so fast, i'd have bought all highland had on hand! mike

Why V-15 steel? I am definitely not an expert in this area. I remember Stuart Batty didn't recommend this steel because of its brittleness.
    According to the data from Crucible, the manufacturer of this CPM tool steel:
    http://www.crucibleservice.com/datas...TOKEN=60199102
    The wear resistance is very high, but the toughness is fairly low. It is about half as tough as regular HSS steel. That would mean that it is brittle, easy to crack. The 10V (A-11) at 60 HRC is tougher and several folds more durable than than M2. There is no free lunch. At 63 HRC, the wear resistance increases as the toughness decreases.

I have high respect for Mr. Jerry Glaser. He pioneered & provided the best tools for wood turners at a fair price. They were not inexpensive because the cost of the steel and production were high. I believe what Doug Thompson does changed the whole business model for A-11 turning tools. By selling direct, he cuts out the distributors. That brings the A-11 tools to the level that more turners can afford.

The Glaser screw chucks are still the best. I waited 8 months for mine from the new owner. I am glad I did.
    (I read somewhere that the M33 Glaser chucks at Highland doesn't fit Oneway lathe, make sure you check with them before ordering.)
    Gordon

gordon, have you ever had ANY turning tool crack? i had a discussion with a fellow at highland earlier today, he told me of the problem with the glaser screw chucks that 'fit' oneway's - can't get the new company to resolve the situation, he said. mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    gordon, have you ever had ANY turning tool crack? i had a discussion with a fellow at highland earlier today, he told me of the problem with the glaser screw chucks that 'fit' oneway's - can't get the new company to resolve the situation, he said. mike
    Not exactly "crack". A chunk chipping at the tips, yes. It was not on a powdered metal tool.
    That may not be the tool's fault. I took a class with Mark Sfirri, he had a Mastercut bowl gouge with steep 30 degree nose angle for off-center turning. I like how this grind can reach into tight area. I converted my regular HSS bowl gouge to the same grind. The tip kept breaking off. I am not going to name that brand, because grinding the bowl gouge to such an angle is not normal usage. After the class, I talked to Doug Thompson about it. That was how his shallow flute detail gouge was born.

I have heard that turners have experienced snapping with the V-15 gouges. Some said that was why some of the later V-15 gouges have regular steel shaft and short V-15 tips only. I don't exactly know whether that was because of toughness issue or cost saving of this very expensive V-15 steel. To me, I think the V-15 tools may have more wear resistance; but the combination of additional initial cost but shorter flute length (useful tool life) may not turn out to be ahead or just a wash.
    I have used others Glaser V-15. But at $260 then, it was hard to justify even for tool junkie like me.
    Talking about the Glaser handle dampening vibration. Have you tried the tool rest test? If you hit the shaft of a Glaser to the steel toolrest, the sound is a deadening sound. If you do the same test with a wood handle tool, you will hear the long harmonic ringing sound. Jerry Glaser does know something we don't.
    Gordon

First of all I am sorry to read this news.

The 15V is a very good steel but for woodturning it's slightly to much, you need SG wheels to sharpen and a 3/8 diameter tool will never be made because they break. I'll look into this steel again but the cost was very high in the past, if there is enough interest I'll make a batch of 1/2 and 5/8 diameter bowl gouges

I still remember when Gordon wanted a shallower detail for offset turning, he decided what he wanted and we walked into the shop and made one. That is how a tool is created from a need to solve a problem.

Doug,
    You know me, you make them (V15) and I'll buy at least one of each!
    Bill