Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another mfg. bites the dust. Shopsmith inc.

Another mfg. bites the dust. Shopsmith inc.

Shopsmith on Friday fired all their employees and closed the chapter on Shopsmith inc.
    The good news is they are going to reorganize under the name "RLF Shop, LLC"
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-12-2009 at 5:50 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Have Not Heard

Dave,

Where did you hear this? I visited Shopsmith about a month ago and things looked pretty deserted, but I don't see anything on their website. I'm the head of the Shopsmith SIG for my woodworking club and I would like to get some sort of confirmation to send out to our members. Thanks.

Not allowed to post a link to another forum on here. Check your pm.

Nick that use to do the Shopsmith sawdust videos confirmed it on his web site.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Thanks

Thanks for the info, Dave. If anyone should know, Nick should. Unfortunately, I guess I've just canceled that order I was going to make. Not big, mind you, but little stuff I wanted. I guess the premonition I had when I visited last month was spot on. Too bad. Genuinely good product and American-made, to boot. We'll have to see how this all plays out.

I guess I should have seen the handwriting on the wall when the parts I ordered for my planer were back ordered with "2 to 3 weeks delivery". I got the same answer every time I called. (It has been over 7 weeks now) Unfortunately, I paid in advance.

Shopsmith bit the dust? They, or someone from them just posted a thread that they would be releasing a "new" headstock or something that has digital varialbe speed for us turners.

That definetely makes me sad.....

I for one am shocked, shocked I say that a company that hasn't changed their core product in 56 years has gone bankrupt.

LOL John..i agree

ShopSmith Is Still Alive

I just called their customer service number and spoke with Jan, they have restructured but are still there. I started woodworking with my father when my eyes were about level with the lower tubes, he still has the machine and works on it most days.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Well, I'm glad they're still alive. They must make a good product, they still make the same thing, as mentioned before, and mine still works. 25 years and counting. And I can buy parts.

Perhaps they should start upgrading.... Time stands still for no one.

New ShopSmith Headstock

As I posted before, ShopSmith is still alive And Continues to make changes to the core machine, just received an e-mail from Bob Folkerth (CEO ShopSmith), see below.

!! GENUINELY EXCITING NEWS !! -- FROM YOUR FRIENDS AT SHOPSMITH

I have some really FANTASTIC news for all Shopsmith MARK V Owners, as well as those who may have considered adding a MARK V to their home workshops.

Soon (late Summer of THIS year), Shopsmith will introduce an all-new, upgraded, computer-driven Headstock for the Shopsmith MARK V. Called the MARK V PowerPro®, here are a few of the features this new Headstock will provide:

• state-of-the-art motor drive that will pull a fraction of the start-up amperage of current MARK V models (brown-outs are a thing of the past).

• deliver 1-1/2 times to over 2-1/2 times the horsepower and torque (depending upon selected speed) of current MARK V models.

• offer a reversible drive system that will allow you to perform operations that you just can't do with your current model Headstock.

In addition, you'll enjoy a much broader speed range than with your current MARK V -- and change speeds with digital, keypad controls rather than a mechanical dial. And, since there will be fewer moving parts, there will be less maintenance than current machines.

This is truly a quantum-leap to the 21st Century Shopsmith MARK V you've been waiting for…and, of course, you'll be able to upgrade your current Model MARK V with this new Headstock at a fraction of the cost of a complete new machine.

PLUS…as always, all of your current accessories will work with this new Headstock, without having to make any additional adjustments or changes.

So, watch for more information between now and the end of Summer and get ready to step up to the 21st Century Woodworking Wonder….the all-new, Shopsmith MARK V PowerPro® Headstock.

It's been a long time coming…but you won't have much longer to wait. I assure you, it will be well worth it !

Bob Folkerth
    CEO, Shopsmith, Inc.
    People are made of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smithy View Post
    I for one am shocked, shocked I say that a company that hasn't changed their core product in 56 years has gone bankrupt.
    Guess they should advance like other tool mfg. Start making cheap junk and sell it to the blue and orange Borg. That will help

Shopsmith problem is they make too good a tool. Once you buy it you will never need another. Maybe a part from time to time.
    My Shopsmith wood planer is around 20 years old. I buy most all my wood in the rough. I have only needed to replace the belt and sharpen the blades.
    My MarkV was purchased in 1989 and have only replaced the power switch.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-13-2009 at 3:38 PM.
    - Rick Dale

Dave,

ShopSmith used to sell thru the Blue Borg, bought mine there at a Demo years ago, they changed their marketing practice to save money. I personally admire a company that will no longer do business with the BORGS, saw SnapOn Tools at a local borg over the weekend, sad day.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Guess they should advance like other tool mfg. Start making cheap junk and sell it to the blue and orange Borg. That will help
    People are made of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Thompson View Post
    Dave,

ShopSmith used to sell thru the Blue Borg, bought mine there at a Demo years ago, they changed their marketing practice to save money. I personally admire a company that will no longer do business with the BORGS, saw SnapOn Tools at a local borg over the weekend, sad day.

Heather
    They also sold at the orange one too for a short time.
    Shopsmith is about an hour drive up north for me. It truly is a family run place. I got to take a tour of the plant last summer. They still use the same equipment today to manufacture the MarkV as they did in the beginning. Made from the old model 10ER.
    I was shocked at how much quality control goes into each unit. They have the parts cast for them and do the machining in house. In the middle of the factory is a climate controlled room with HUGE granite blocks to do accurate measurements.
    They only have like 15-20 employees.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 07-13-2009 at 3:50 PM.
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    I have a Mark V - 1953 model and it's still going strong.