Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you hollow a box?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I personally avoid using a square edge in a box. It's REALLY tough to sand....

Or does anyone know how to sand that corner?
    Yeah.. turn an insert and glue it in.

Darn. Why didn't I think of that. Simple but easy.

This Forum is just so awesome......

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    If you use a forstner bit to do your hollowing as has been suggested you won't learn how to hollow using turning tools. Most any experienced turner can hollow that small box with a spindle gouge before you can even set up to use a forstner bit.
    Sounds like good advice IF you have a spindle gouge or the resources to buy one.
    Richard in Wimberley

Thanks for the suggestions Wally, and you are correct, I am a beginner, and I am interested in learning how to turn. My lathe is about two months old and with the exception of a couple of small items, what time I have had to devote to turning was nothing but practicing with the different tools. However, that being said, the project was for my wife and getting it completed was more important to me than the proper turning methods. My problem did not arise until the depth of the hole exceeded about two inches or so. Less depth or larger ID, I could have accomplished the job with tools used by the “real turners”. However, with my limited experience, I chose to use whatever was available that permitted my success.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and I am looking forward to acquiring the skills needed with the more orthodox tools.

Bear