Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My very first pen!

My very first pen!

Boy I was so excited that the Woodcraft box showed up early! My spalted maple blanks are still drying and I was chomping at the bit to try out the pen making gear... so... I grabed a piece of 1/4 sawn oak I had been saving for a future need and decided that a pen was going to get made TONIGHT! It was made with a European style twist kit that I got from Woodcraft. The hardest part was the "tenon" for the brass bushing on the middle. I actually turned the tenon a little too long, by a 32nd or so and had to re-mill the end so it would be flush. Either way it was real fun and I dont think it turned out too bad.

FYI took me about 1 1/2 hours total to complete. Mostly delayed from the massive super glue spill down my hand that glued my wedding ring to my finger! lol

Sanded to 600, BLO, 2 coats of CA and a little wax polish.

So I present my very first turned pen. Critics and advise are welcome! (be gentle)

Scott

Beautiful pen Scott, cant wait to see the others that will be coming
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

That is a beauty. They will get easier. Don't ya hate it when ya glue your ring to your finger.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice first pen! They will get easier and.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That is a nice looking pen! The hobby gets addicting...You will be looking at different pen kits now trying to decide which ones you want to try next...
    Billy

Looks great! Also, if you never take your ring off anyway why does it matter if you glue it to your finger? lol

I dont take my ring off but its still pretty unconfortable to have it super glued to the finger! In a panic (and because the acetone wasnt close by) I dunked my hand in the Dna bucket and I think it helped remove some of the glue and let me know about a cut on my finger I didnt realize I had! lol

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. It was really fun to make and cant wait to use up the other 4 kits I bought. I will be keeping this pen for myself but can already imagine a few Christmas presents in the near future.

Pens are fun and that one looks good! My first one didn't look that good, nice job!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

How does it write? My dad was given one that he gave to me "until you make your own", but he also didn't like how it wrote.(it doesn't write at all for me so I don't know if I like or not)

Be glad your shop accident with your ring involved glueing it to your finger. I'm one of those guys that knows a guy missing a finger.

Good job on your first pen. Warning, you are going to be hooked!

Hey, you are way ahead of the game already - It took me a year and a half making pens before I glued my wedding ring to my finger!

Good looking pen. I like Euros. As for the glue problem, get yourself some "official" super glue solvent. It is about $7 for a bottle at Woodcraft, and it works better than acetone. Acetone is not the best CA solvent, and it is hard on your skin. The solvent is an alcohol of some kind and works faster than acetone.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Very nice pen Scott! Sounds like it was quite the experience!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

13. Very nice looking pen.

Looks great----now you start working on Christmas Gifts---pens make great gifts
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Great looking pen! My first would make you confiscate my lathe. Keep it for comparison to your 5th, 50th, 500th! The learning curve is very fast even though it does not look like you have far to go.

As for the CA....you ONLY glued your ring to your finger? LOL. It gets much more interesting as you go along but that would be a whole new thread.