I have 2 of the Hold Fast systems, 1x8 & 1 1/4 x 8.

I have both sized hold fast chucks for them.

And I have a 220V Gast pump setup.

I first bought the hold fast 1x8 for my JET 1442 lathe and had to upgrade to the 1 1/4x8 when I bought my Powermatic 3520B lathe.

They work GREAT, there is a Huge Misconception that these run a air compressor balls out and you have to listen to it running constantly, That is just NOT the case. Even with a smaller mid sized compressor it runs a moment and shuts off.
And stays off for quit some time.

Yes a Pancake compressosor will run more often than a compressor with a 60 gallon tank but it will run it, I have tried it with the tiny pepboys compressor as well as my 6HP 60 gallon tank compressor.

I would recommend the next sized up compressor over the pancake type mainly because they are designed for nail gun use.

Bigger is Always Better when buying an air compressor.

I find myself using the Hold Fast system way more often than the 220Volt Gast pump and save that for only the largest of tuurnings, as 95% of what I have turned I am Totally Confident in the hold fasts holding power. I easily get 22-24 of Vacuum.

And Just like using a Gast pump IF the wood if very porus, you will need to work with it in the same manner as any vacuum system and seal the wood in one way or another, whatever your preferred method is will work with either system.

The added beauty of the hold fast system is, you open the box and in about 10 minutes you are up and running.

I will be selling the 1x8 system on CL in the near future as I sold the Jet 1442 and have no use for it, only used the 1x8 a couple times befor I upgraded to the Powermatic lathe.