Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Punchbowl (aka pushing the limit!)

My Punchbowl (aka pushing the limit!)

OK, so I know I havent been good about posting pictures of my stuff but this one needs to be seen. I cant wipe the smile off my face when I look at it.

I actually got it really round with the new Husky before I put it on the lathe but still had it on the lowest speed.... scarey! I have maple curls everywhere.

I got a bunch or large silver maple tree trunk stumps and yesterday I split one and decided that the whole thing needed to go on the lathe! Roughed out at 15 1/2" and turned rough to almost exactly 15" dia and about 8" tall! Its a monster and has a ton of spalting.

Anyway, I really am not prepared to handle chunks of this size with my SuperNova2 and the standard 50mm jaws. Found this out the hard way, twice! Last time it busted the tenon off completely so..... I anchorsealed the whole thing and I will be ordering a 75mm jaw set to go into the dovetail recess that I had the foresight to cut (but not the brains to measure the fact the the 50 mm set wont expand into it!).

Cant wait to slap it back on the lathe and finish the rough out. I have about 80% cored and left the wall thinkness (so far) at 1 1/4".

Thanks for looking.

Here is a pic of the missing tenon! (at least I cut the recessed dovetail)

Scott - that is a monster! Really good looking wood! Hope your new jaw sets arrives soon! Looking forward to seeing the finished bowl!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I can't see the tenon. It must be missing. That is going to be a beauty Scott. Also hope you will post it when finished.
    Richard in Wimberley

Really nice wood, its going to be a great bowl.
    I would have used a face-plate (actually I use a face-plate on pretty much everything), but if we all did things the same way, we would not have much to talk about.

Pushing the limits is usually very educational whether pushing our skill limits or pushing the limits of our equipment. When I push the limits, I tend to find out the limits are not exactly where I thought they were!

looks good so far, looking forward to the finished product. Definitely a monster bowl.

Looks good so far and the wood is really nice.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    I can't see the tenon. It must be missing....
    Yeah Richard, the tenon WAS still in the chuck (now in the trash)! Should have known better but......

I'ved mounted a few similar sized pieces on my 1624 and determined that this lathe wasn't built for this. Scary? That's putting it mildly.

Are the 75mm jaws you ordered bowl jaws? I hope not as they do not dovetail into a recess. I think the #3 regular jaws are what you need.

Good luck

Steven, I had my bowl very round prior to lathe work and at the lowest speed I had NO vibration and after rounding the outside I bumped the speed up one notch and still had no vibration or shaking. But having said that, I wouldnt try the next speed! At least until the mass has been reduced and the wood drys.

Yes they are "bowl jaws" for the SuperNova2 and I believe they will work for this as the description from WoodCraft states:

"75mm Bowl Jaw Set fits Precision Midi, SuperNova² and Nova Titan as well as the old Nova and SuperNova Chucks. The 75mm jaw sets are designed for an expanded dovetail grip, reverse dovetail grip for gripping footed bowls, limited spigot facility and provision to mount false wooden jaws, so customized jaws can be made for special purposes."

At least I hope so, cause its already ordered!
    Last edited by Scott Hackler; 07-06-2009 at 4:07 PM.

You are on your way to a beautiful piece! Can't wait for the finished shots...Bill..

Hey Scott,

Hmmm, I wonder what jaws I've actually got because mine are garbage for expansion. Everytime I've used them I've orbited the workpiece. No trouble with #2 and #3 jaws though so I don't think it is me. Oh no, I'm thinking?!?!? That must be the problem.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kubien View Post
    Hey Scott,

Hmmm, I wonder what jaws I've actually got because mine are garbage for expansion. Everytime I've used them I've orbited the workpiece. No trouble with #2 and #3 jaws though so I don't think it is me. Oh no, I'm thinking?!?!? That must be the problem.

Steve
    I'm not sure what jaws you are referring to since Nova doesn't have #2 or #3 jaws. Oneway does. Do you mean 2 inch or 3 inch (i.e. 75mm) jaws? The 75mm Nova jaws are definitely designed to do expansion chucking as well as tenon chucking. The 75mm long-nose jaws are one of my favorite jaw sets for the SN2 and provide a great grip. Though for big blanks, one would be better off with the 100mm, 130mm, or PowerGrip jaws.

Jaws arrived today, but another 5 gal bucket of Dna didnt. The Sherwin Williams store cant get me another bucket for at least a week, so the "Punchbowl" will NOT be de-anchorsealed and turned to rough until I have enough Dna for the soak.

I did however find a different container for Dna soaking. Its an old shop vac bucket from a broken shop vac I had a long time ago. I dont have the lid/motor assembly so I am going to make a groved lid out of plywood or something and coat it in a couple coats of oil based paint to seal it (to help with evaporation). Either way I will be able to put a lot more in at once or at least one very large spalted maple bowl!

Looks like a beast! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

UPDATE:

Well after waiting forever for the second 5 gal of Dna to arrive, the punchbowl is de-anchorsealed and rough turned. Thank goodness for my extra heavy duty 1/2" scraper and my monster bowl scraper. It ended up being tedious but easy to hollow out. Ran the lathe at about 600 rpm. I did a little sanding as well and had BOTH hands inside the bowl, holding a half sheet of paper!

Whew that was nerve racking! Not because of the size, because I really didnt want to screw it up with a bad catch or something!

I wish I would have taken a picture prior to the remount onto the lathe, because the blank/bowl, had black mold everywhere underneath the anchorseal. Really wierd, since it was sealed air tight, but it sure helped with the spalting effect.

While waiting for the Dna to arrive I solved a small problem that this bowl was gonna cause... what to soak it in. I have the bucket half of a broken shop vac (been saving it for some reason)and I cut a plywood lid to fit it. I routered a grove around the inside of the "lid" to fit the bucket and gave it about 5 coats of Krylon. Finally I took a 10 speed bike inner tube, cut it to fit and stapled it into the grove! Now I can soak a whole lot more at once ... or one giant bowl!

The bowl is soaking right now, but I may pull it out tomorrow and snap a few more pictures of it and the new soak bucket. Then I will most likely leave the "Punchbowl" in the Dna for 4-5 days.

Scott