Thread: More home made tools

More home made tools

here's my latest attempt at making tools - sure wish i was doing this earlier in my turning - would have saved lots of money, haha. the light oak handle holds a carbide cutter bought from Hunter tools - sorry about the fuzzy pic. the dark handled tool is a boring bar handled in ebonized oak (funny how it left a 'grainy' appearance) and finished with wipe-on poly; the cutter i ground from 1/4 inch HSS stock on my slow speed bench grinder (showing a couple of blanks in their store wrapper, and one i finished) bought from ENCO - great company, great prices. i cut the cold rolled 5/8 bar with a hand-held grinder, and drilled & tapped a 6-32 hole to hold the cutter. i saw Chris Rae's home made one, it's really nice; i think she tapped it with an 8-32; i couldn't get one that large thru the #4 cutter i had. mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 07-05-2009 at 5:37 PM.

Looks like the tools should work great Mike! I really like the Oak handle - especially the way the grain has been accentuated by being ebonized! If I ever turn Oak - will have to keep that effect in mind!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good looking tools Mike and should do the job nicely.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.