Thread: New Shopsmith Upgrade

New Shopsmith Upgrade

I know a lot of people have Shopsmith just set up as a lathe.
    Thought this may be of interest to some.

!! GENUINELY EXCITING NEWS !! -- FROM YOUR FRIENDS AT SHOPSMITH

I have some really FANTASTIC news for all Shopsmith MARK V Owners, as well as those who may have considered adding a MARK V to their home workshops.
    Soon (late Summer of THIS year), Shopsmith will introduce an all-new, upgraded, computer-driven Headstock for the Shopsmith MARK V. Called the MARK V PowerPro®, here are a few of the features this new Headstock will provide:

• state-of-the-art motor drive that will pull a fraction of the start-up amperage of current MARK V models (brown-outs are a thing of the past).
    • deliver 1-1/2 times to over 2-1/2 times the horsepower and torque (depending upon selected speed) of current MARK V models.
    • offer a reversible drive system that will allow you to perform operations that you just can’t do with your current model Headstock.

In addition, you’ll enjoy a much broader speed range than with your current MARK V -- and change speeds with digital, keypad controls rather than a mechanical dial. And, since there will be fewer moving parts, there will be less maintenance than current machines.
    This is truly a quantum-leap to the 21st Century Shopsmith MARK V you’ve been waiting for…and, of course, you’ll be able to upgrade your current Model MARK V with this new Headstock at a fraction of the cost of a complete new machine.
    PLUS…as always, all of your current accessories will work with this new Headstock, without having to make any additional adjustments or changes.
    So, watch for more information between now and the end of Summer and get ready to step up to the 21st Century Woodworking Wonder….the all-new, Shopsmith MARK V PowerPro® Headstock.
    It’s been a long time coming…but you won’t have much longer to wait. I assure you, it will be well worth it !
    Bob Folkerth
    CEO, Shopsmith, Inc.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Sounds like a meld between Shopsmith and the Nova DVR!!

Okay, I'll bite. How much is the upgrade? I can say that turning anything over 6 inches in diameter is a thrill a minute on the SS..... Not being a heavy unit, further adds to the excitement! Roughing on the SS is an adventure. IF it would spin down to like 200 it would be a lot better.... Hard to sand at 700 too. And I'm NOT ashamed to say the 80 grit gouge is MY favorite tool. Sometimes I use the 100 grit.....

Interesting, thanks for posting. I wanted to get into turning, but only have a hand-me-down SS. This might be the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bolen View Post
    Sounds like a meld between Shopsmith and the Nova DVR!!
    From someone in the know, sounds like you hit the nail on the head.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

May take a little longer to get that new headstock. ShopSmith Inc went under on Friday. Fired all the employees.
    Going to reorganize under a new name.
    - Rick Dale

Okay, so how would that work? Is it something that we can add to our current SS, or is it a new head that we need to buy? If it's anywhere near the price of a NEW DVR, I'd rather spring for a new DVR. Sorry.....

Too bad about SS going under......

So is this going to be interchangable with a 1985 Mark V to upgrade? How much?

You can find additional information on the new Shopsmith headstock here: http://www.nickengler.com/Forum/vani...page=1#Item_15 .

With all good wishes,
    Nick

I just talked to someone at Shopsmith customer service. They are still ansawering the phones, still taking orders, and seem excited about the new headstock. Lady said that yes they were reorganizing, but it's stil business as usual as far as customers should be concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I just talked to someone at Shopsmith customer service. They are still ansawering the phones, still taking orders, and seem excited about the new headstock. Lady said that yes they were reorganizing, but it's stil business as usual as far as customers should be concerned!

Going bankrupt is usually worse sounding than it actually is. As long as they aren't filing chapter 7, you can mostly take a wait-and-see approach. 7 is game over. The rest are ways to re-organize contracts and debt.

Blog Entries
    I am very sceptical about the pricing. If they follow their past pricing model, this thing will cost way too much for what it is. My guess for the price is $1,800 to $2,200. Too rich for my blood.

Anybody else care to take a stab at the new price? We can come back to this thread when they publish the price to see haw we did.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

If the upgrade is a new tailstock, I bet you are right on the money (pun intended). I read something (I think on Nick Engler's site) about upgrading an existing headstock with a new motor and controller. If they go that route, I'd guestimate $1000-$1400. Still too rich for me, plus I bet the control panel ends up in some stick on box (not taking the place of the area currently taken by the speed dial).

Not sure if an upgrade is in my future, but it does make a new SS look more attractive, homefilly they will attract new business.

I haven't tried it, but if you remove the tailstick and move the headstock all the way down, does it clear the end (or would it if there were a chuck attached)? Out board turning combined with that digital speed control might make this thing pretty attractive to turners. It's already a great sanding station and drill press. Ocassional use as a table saw (or even a bandsaw if the SS 11 inch model will cover what you need) could let someone get into turning in a big way using very little real estate.

Blog Entries
    I use mine as a drill press most often, followed by band saw, the disc sander, and then lathe. However I have been wanting to get into turning a little more. That new headstock would be quite tempting if the price was right.

I have been lusting after one of those 17" Grizzly band saws though
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

OK, mostly to bump the link up, but the bandsaw is indeed a great saw, for it's capacity. I do my roughing of the blanks on this bandsaw. I do mostly boxes and no large bowls. Too much excitement to spin big items on the SS.