Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandpaper

Sandpaper

What type of sandpaper do people use? The only thing my local bigbox carries is Norton 3X, and I wonder if there is a better paper around.

As far as paper sheets go, Norton 3X is pretty good sandpaper and the price is right when purshased in contractor packs. It's the brand I use. Klingspor is high qualty sandpaper also, but not as ealily available in my area.

I bought some paper last year from a place called Industrial Abrasives. The paper is called Rhynogrip. You can get the hook & loop paper in 1 yard by 1 yard sheets and cut it to any size you want. I think I have only used 1/4 of a sheet of each grit I bought so far. I cut three 3" strips off each sheet and then cut the strips into 3" squares, so that gave me 3 dozen squares of each grit and I haven't gone through them yet to need to cut more. The squares seem to work fine without cutting them into disks for most sanding jobs, although getting up tight to a corner is best done with a round disk. Since each 1 sq. yd. sheet only cost $15.75 and will yield 12 dozen 3" squares it is pretty economical paper. It seems to last as long as any other disks I have used and the flannel backing has not separated on any of them yet, which is a problem I have had with some disks.

The web page for the 1 sq. yd. sheets is: http://www.industrialabrasives.com/z...roducts_id=338

Take care
    Bob

I use the Norton 3X all the time. Pretty good stuff for hand sanding. I cut the sheets into quarters.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Like Bob Hamilton, I use Industrial Abrasives products and I have not yet found their equal. Price is right and you can cut the sheets to suit.
    Tom in Qualicum Beach

Another vote for Industrial

I also use Industrial for all my large quantity purchases. The prices are great and the paper is first rate! I bought 4.5" wide rolls of hook and loop paper from 100 to 400 great 2 years ago and have only used about 3' off each roll. I really dont' think you can do much better IMHO.

Good luck and have a great 4th of July!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I have used the 3x for my pens for a long time. I buy it in sheets from 220 through 600, and cut it up in roughly 1" strips. It tends to last quite a long time.

Try Eagle Finkat Sandpaper from Japan. It leaves very few scratches. I buy mine from 2Sand.com.

I second the finkat. I use it in the 400 and 600 grit and it is amazing.

Bob

Third on Eagle Finkat - the best sandpaper I've used in 25 years. Comes in wet/dry too. Lasts 4 times as long as any other.

I like the 3x stuff too but I have to admit I haven't tried many of the others. What makes sandpaper last for me is this.....
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...3&d=1151766477
    One of the oldtimers in our club showed us this several years ago. It's just a small piece of plywood with a hacksaw blade screwed to the edge. Makes for quick cutting of a sheet of sandpaper. I like to cut the pieces even once more beyond the smallest size on the cutter. For some reason, maybe just because I'm a tightwad, it makes it easier to throw away a little piece and start with a fresh one when they're small, making the old "use sandpaper like someone else is buying it" rule easier to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    Try Eagle Finkat Sandpaper from Japan. It leaves very few scratches. I buy mine from 2Sand.com.
    isnt the purpose of sandpaper to make scratches?

Yes Jay, but not deep ones!!

i recently bought a 'box' of sandpaper from Klingspore - while initially i said it was a good deal, and still do - the caveat is that about 90% of it is a very tough material that must have been made with drum sanders and such in mind, not hand sanders or hand sanding. i'll get good use out of it, but will still have to buy some sandpaper like Norton 3X to compliment it. mike

There is a place called The Sanding Glove on the web . you can down load a cat form there ,phone orders website not set up to buyon line yet . they have mesh sand paper called Abranet to sand green wood you can washout the disc and reuse great stuff . they have a Radial Bristle disc that you put in a drill to sand details in you turnings that works great , then the sanding glove . My brother-in-law has one but my big hand wouldnt fit in it, he realy likes that .my next order Ill get one . The regular paper is creaper then some of the other places I have been ordering it from .