Thread: The Army Stopped Shipping Freedom Pens (Resolved: now Navy's shipping)

The Army Stopped Shipping Freedom Pens (Resolved: now Navy's shipping)

It seems that the Army cannot send our Freedom Pens to the Middle East anymore due to a problem involving "Appropriated Funds" which cannot be used to fund the shipping costs associated with delivering our pens. Frustrating to say the least I contacted Congresswoman JoAnn Davis's office and a member of her staff suggested that we ask the Boy Scouts to wash cars to fund our pen shipments

Although they promised to find another source of funding the Post Commanders Office at Fort Eustis has not returned my call in over a month so it seems they have written us off so to speak...Strike Two

A friend of mine who is a retired Navy Chief volunteered to help us out and contacted the Chaplain at the Naval Weapons Station in Yorktown. The Navy is happy to help us out and will take over the responsibility of shipping Freedom Pens to Iraq and Afganistan. I met with Petty Officer Rand yesterday, he wil be my contact and deliver our pens to the Base Post Office personally as a representative of the Weapons Station Chaplains Office.

I just wish I could be there when the Chaplain at Command Central in Irag finds out that his buddies at home could not find it in their hearts to support a program that promotes good will and improves morale for troops in a combat zone. Steaks are continuing to arrive at the Officers Clubs and the golf courses are being kept perfectly groomed but our pens are a problem I guess.

Thanks to the United States Navy for their support of the Freedom Pens Project and those who are serving on the front lines.

Over two thousand pens will be delivered to the Yorktown Naval Weapons Station Chaplains Office Monday afternoon.

Anchors Away

I will also let my Congressman know about this.

I will also let my Congressman know about this.

Being ex-Navy myself, all I can say is I AM NOT SURPRISED by the response from the Navy....
    I also will contact my Congressman...
    Troop moral is an important consideration in a theatre of war.... I know.. been there and felt it...

Thanks

Keith,

I have rarely posted on this forum but I wanted to tell you that I think it is a great service to our men and women overseas that people like you won't take "no" for an answer when it comes to showing back-home support. Keep it up.

I am a Navy veteran and I feel good that the Navy has stepped up to offer their support, I only wish the Pentagon was as willing.

Thanks and "Anchors Aweigh My Boys",
    Mike

Go Navy

I too am former Navy, 1961-1964. I am also not surprised at the Navy stepping up to the plate. My father, WWII, Korea, my oldest son, USN See Bee, my youngest son USMC, Desert Storm Veteran, were all in the Naval Services.

I just finished writing Senator Rick Santorum, PA. I have no idea if anything can or will come of it, but I wanted to infrom him of our effort of support anyway.

Have a great weekend.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

I too have contacted my Senator -- Carl Levin -- ranking dem on the Senate Armed Services Committee... not that I expect it to do that much good, but if anyone could help, he might be able too...

If anyone is in the following districts -- this is a list of the members of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

REPUBLICANS
    John Warner (Virginia)
    Chairman

John McCain (Arizona)
    James M. Inhofe (Oklahoma)
    Pat Roberts (Kansas)
    Wayne Allard (Colorado)
    Jeff Sessions (Alabama)
    Susan M. Collins (Maine)
    John Ensign (Nevada)
    James M. Talent (Missouri)
    Saxby Chambliss (Georgia)
    Lindsey O. Graham (South Carolina)
    Elizabeth Dole (North Carolina)
    John Cornyn (Texas)

DEMOCRATS

Carl Levin (Michigan)
    Ranking Member

Edward M. Kennedy (Massachusetts)
    Robert C. Byrd (West Virginia)
    Joseph I. Lieberman (Connecticut)
    Jack Reed (Rhode Island)
    Daniel K. Akaka (Hawaii)
    Bill Nelson (Florida)
    E. Benjamin Nelson (Nebraska)
    Mark Dayton (Minnesota)
    Evan Bayh (Indiana)
    Hillary Rodham Clinton (New York)
    Mark Pryor (Arkansas)

The House Armed Services Committee List is here:

House Armed Services Committee Member List
    Last edited by Michael Cody; 08-28-2004 at 1:53 PM.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Everyone should contact their Congressmen and their Senators either by telephone, snail mail or e-mail and voice their dissappointment over this situation. I would suggest you ask your elected officials to read the responses from the troops to emphasize the positive impact on "troop morale" this project has made. The troops need not only our support, but the support of all of our elected officials regardless of policitcal affiliations.

We will not let this hicup deter us from our goals. Lots and lots of e-mails will flow from this computer in the next few days
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 08-29-2004 at 7:19 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

It would help me a lot if someone would post a sample letter. I have tried to compose one, but end up with too much detail just to bring the legislator up to speed.
    18th century nut --- Carl

9. Exclamation Is it still true that DOD is not shipping pens?

I will contact my Senators about this, also.

I know a great little lady (CSM Lahm) who is an E-9, and In Charge of Nebraska Nebraska National Guard Family Support Groups.
    She is on the local radio stations whipping up support. I'll contact her and see what we can do.

Charlie.
    LTC (Retired)

Charles,

The United States Navy has jumped in and saved the day! The Yorktown Naval Weapons Station has started shipping pens to the Middle East for us and they have indicated that they are proud to do so. I believe we will be shipping well over 1000 pens Thursday afternoon (Sept 16th, 2004).

To this day the Fort Eustis Post Commanders office has not responded as they promised.

11. 50 more pens

What is the mailing address. Nebraska I-80 Woodturners Guild has 50 pens to send. This will make our total 100 pens.

(I-80 stands for Interstate 80.) (Our guild has members of Southeast Nebraska to South Central Nebraska and along Interstate 80)

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles L. Augustyn
    What is the mailing address. Nebraska I-80 Woodturners Guild has 50 pens to send. This will make our total 100 pens.

(I-80 stands for Interstate 80.) (Our guild has members of Southeast Nebraska to South Central Nebraska and along Interstate 80)

Per the instructions on our web site:

SawMill Creek C/O
    Hampton Roads Online
    1213-H George Washington Memorial Highway
    Yorktown, VA 23693
    Telephone (757) 591-5300

Please pack each pen individually, in tubes, plastic bags or roll them in newspaper but make sure that each pen is protected. Damage from shipping is a major concern and if we have to wrap each pen it slows the delivery of your pens
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.