Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: an alternative to anchorseal?

an alternative to anchorseal?

okay, I'm poor so I need to know if I'll regret using this stuff instead of Anchorseal.
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...odsealer?Args=
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-30-2009 at 3:52 PM.

Phil,

I have used the similar product from WoodCraft. I have never been disappointed by anything I bought from CSUSA.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Looks to be the same water based wax emulsion as anchorseal - so should work great!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Anchor seal is cheaper by the gallon.

sikkens pre-log treatment is cheaper per sqft. so make it has worked on the wood i have tried it on. it covers 400-600sqft, where as anchor seal and others only cover about 100sqft. it runs between 20-30$
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Phil I use the stuff and it is fine. I picked some up from CSUSA when I ran out of anchorseal. It works the same.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Same stuff

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    sikkens pre-log treatment is cheaper per sqft. so make it has worked on the wood i have tried it on. it covers 400-600sqft, where as anchor seal and others only cover about 100sqft. it runs between 20-30$
    Curtis, After reading the MSDS on this stuff not sure I would want to turn the wood after using it.
    http://www.nam.sikkens.com/pdf/log-pretreatment-US.pdf
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Curtis, After reading the MSDS on this stuff not sure I would want to turn the wood after using it.
    Wow! The MSDS is pretty explicit about the health risk associated with inhaling this stuff. I wonder how they can market it to people knowing that they will be producing dust when they cut into it. I suppose they assume you have a really good ventilation system and breather mask. I think I'll stick to my paraffin sealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Scott, Thanks for the info on the yucky stuff Curtis has been using! Just because it goes farther does not mean it is better, sounds like pure poison to me!!

Should have on the label "NOT TO BE USED FOR WOODTURNING!!!!"

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I only posted this as a warning to those that are new to sealing their blanks. Seeing it recommended a few times now by Curtis I thought it best to show the facts then let the turner make up his own mind as to the risk. As far as the marketing goes, I would use it for it's intended purpose, but not turning blanks.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

its no worse than some of the finishes you guys use, its now explosive like DNA is, and its less harmful than some of the woods you guys turn. the reason there is so much on the MSDS sheet is because this is normally used for sealing logs homes. and the would be a guy who is constantly spraying it on another house all day long. if you are only sealing the endgrain there wont be that much on you peice of wood, and if it actually cuts the wood when you turn it, the sealer stays on the shaving, unless you sand it or something to make it go in the air.

but i guess every one has their own comfort level of what they feel safe doing
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    its no worse than some of the finishes you guys use, its now explosive like DNA is, and its less harmful than some of the woods you guys turn. the reason there is so much on the MSDS sheet is because this is normally used for sealing logs homes. and the would be a guy who is constantly spraying it on another house all day long. if you are only sealing the endgrain there wont be that much on you peice of wood, and if it actually cuts the wood when you turn it, the sealer stays on the shaving, unless you sand it or something to make it go in the air.

but i guess every one has their own comfort level of what they feel safe doing
    Curtis, You seem like you have a big chip on your shoulder! The smart guy stays with the tried and true. There is a reason that it is put on log homes, as it stays where it is and never gets reworked or milled again. I hope you have a good respirator and dust collector, but then again your comfort level is much better as a teenager than guys 25 to 50 years older and much, much wiser. Like I said before you have a lot to learn.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Curtis,
    I'm not trying to be confrontational with you on this but I would ask that you take a moment to look at the big picture. I'm not sure what you pay for your sealer but I will assume you save $4/gallon from the approximate $20/gallon cost of anchor seal. OK divide that $4 by the number of blanks a gallon will coat and you are literally only saving pennies / blank. You are young and have many years of turning ahead of you.....unless you neglect your personal health and safety.
    It's nice to save a buck or two and it's nice to find an alternative to the status quo. SOMETIMES IT'S JUST NOT WORTH BUCKING THE SYSTEM HOWEVER!!!!!
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Labowski View Post
    okay, I'm poor so I need to know if I'll regret using this stuff instead of Anchorseal.
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...odsealer?Args=
    I've used both and I think they're identical, or at least as much as I can tell. I have heard, but don't know for a fact, that anchorseal has something in it that will keep it from going all funky if it freezes. The craftsupplies sealer should be kept from freezing.