Thread: Mobile Planer Stand

Mobile Planer Stand

Well I FINALLY finished the planer stand Ive been working on - well...mostly finished. I still have to build some drawers for it, and then maybe one of these years Ill put some sort of finish on it (I did seal the MDF with shellac followed by Paste Wax).
    The idea/design for this is shamelessly stolen from Jeff Bratt - you can see his version HERE.
    I made it all from 2x4s and scrap plywood/MDF. The three-point mounting system for the outfeed tables works great - just a few turns of the carriage bolts will micro-adjust things level with the planer bed. Then I just lock the setting in place with the wingnuts and tighten up the lag bolts which attach to threaded inserts in the stand.
    I really like the 3'' double locking casters I got from SES Caster on Ebay. They are very comparable to the ones from Woodcraft and only $6 apiece!
    The outfeed tables are really reducing the amount of snipe I get, and folded down the unit really doesn't take up much space.
    I spent most of the day planing down rough stock for my next project - a mobile base for my new-to-me Grizzly G1023 cabinet saw. What is that saying... one of these days Ill stop working on my shop, and start working in my shop...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great looking planer stand.

Althought, I really like the random child in a swing in the first picture.

Jason -

A nice solution, and probably for the cost of the infeed/outfeed tables that DeWalt should have included in the first place!

Always nice to see someone else who hates U of M and the tiresome arrogance that the fans bore others with.

Regards,

Tom Hargrove
    MSU '79

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Chester View Post
    Great looking planer stand.

Althought, I really like the random child in a swing in the first picture.
    The Little Tykes 'Shop Swing Special' is available through better woodworking supply houses coast to coast.

Cool use of the swingout supports. Nice stand.

P.s. the kid's cute too.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice Jason and the extentions will come in awful handy if you do any long stock as I do. One side of yours is longer than my cast iron extentions on my 20" planer. They should handle about anything you throw at it unless you do a lot of large carcass exceeding 6'.

Enjoy... both the extentions and the contents of the swing as he or she will be a teen-ager soon and oh-boy.... it that some kind of fun for a parent.

Sarge..