Thread: Home made hook tools

Home made hook tools

I've recently gotten interested (again) in hook and ring style tools. Used to have a OneWay Termite, but sold it - clogged too much on me. I just got the 1" Sorby ring tool, and have only used it to get to know it 2 times; so far, I like it - we'll see how it is to sharpen, haha. These photos are hook tools; some only flattened out, some shaped. They just need to be tempered and honed, then tried out. I used Masonry Nails, as per the suggestion (and design) of the fellow at AroundtheWoods.com. Great site, check it out if you haven't! Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you are off to a good start on the cutters Mike! Let us know how they work out for you.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

i thought you were supposed to shrarpen and hone them first so it would be easier
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Alan Lacer has a printout that he passes out at his demo (saw him in Fort Worth back in April?) on how to make a hook tool using M1 steel. I suggest you go to his website http://www.alanlacer.com/handouts/ho-hooktool.html and look at it as an alternate way to make a hook tool. He made and used it during the demo so it is not that complicated to make. I have picked up all the material but have not made the tool yet.

curtis, they gotta be resharpened, too, no?

Thomas and Mike,

You may also want to check out this "Shopmade Tools" DVD. He makes a few different style of hook tools in the DVD. I've made them with him at his place and it's pretty easy. The DVD is exactly how we did it.

well, its easier to sharpen it first when its straigh, then you are just doing a touch up. i read quite a few sites on this when i asked about hollowing tools ahile ago
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!