Thread: First Tool Handle

1. First Tool Handle

Hi everyone.

I finished my first turning tool handle. It's really the first finished piece to come off my lathe (I have a half dozen bowls roughed out), and I'm pretty happy with it. Was nice to see it take shape.

And it fits my hand wonderfully. That second slight bump is very comfortable.

The lamination is maple and purpleheart and the tool is a 5/8" Thompson Bowl Gouge. The ferrule is a brass pipe coupling.

Next time I'm hoping to get a clean finish off the skew instead of having to sand. The lamination was making that difficult for me, I think, and I'm not convinced I had the handle between centers correctly.

Any ideas for a finish? I'd like something simple--water-based poly?

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan Nayar View Post
    Any ideas for a finish? I'd like something simple--water-based poly?
    If you want something simple, try mineral oil. It's used on cutting boards and salad bowls so its safe. Just one to three coats. Wipe on, let sit a few minutes, wipe off. Easily renewal. As an oil it will bring out the grain nicely.
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

That's a great looking handle! For a finish, the water based poly would be good or regular wipe on poly. Anything that will seal the wood and keep it from discoloring from use.

Narayan - that is one great looking handle! Nice color combination! As for a finish - an oil based poly will soak into the wood and bring out the grain a little more than the water based stuff. However, the oil base will add a touch of yellow to the color where the water-based will stay colorless.

Nice work! Seeing as how the Purpleheart goes right down the center - you must have set everything up correctly!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking handle, how did you round over the brass?
    Cheers Ron.

Great looking handle with the two woods. I use lacquer on my handles and it seems to hold up well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

7. Hey Ron.

Brass is pretty soft. I used my spindle roughing gouge then a spindle gouge to round it over, then some sandpaper. Light cuts, obviously.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Great work! Did you drill or leave a gap while laminating? If drilling, since its so well centered, what technique did u use?

9. I didn't leave a gap--was I supposed to?

I just eyeballed it, really. To drill, I put a chuck in the tailstock and used a long Colt bit, which has a brad point. It was very a very loud and squeaky operation.

Narayan:
    Thanks for the tips, I will have to try it myself.
    Cheers Ron.

11. Ron, check out the Thompson Lathe Tools website; there's a pretty good .pdf available there on making tool handles. They also explain that you can use a file for the ferrule. I did that, but found the gouge easier.