Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Saw Stop PCS Dust Collecting Blade Guard

Improved PAWLS

I read from popular woodworking that the new guard will use two sets of pawls, I think this will be a huge improvement.

Take a look at the new blade-guard design. The rods you see extending to the front are there as a limiter. If the stock you’re working doesn’t fit under the front piece attached to those rods, it won’t fit under the pawls either. And take a closer look at the pawls. You see two distinct sets. The smaller pawls are there for light cuts in thin stock while the larger pawls, the size we’re used to seeing, are for typical operations. When not needed, the larger pawls hook into the guard setup to stay out of the way.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...c7c14d41b.aspx

Has anyone used the new guard yet? I picked up my new saw today and the guard looks great. If someone has it hooked up could you post a picture. I want to see how you have it plumbed.

Still waiting, no word on a ship date....
    Where did I put that?

Thought I would shoot some video of the new guard. I don't have the dust collection hooked up yet but this might give a better idea of the design. The audio is wack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6FgZ3xAlM8
    Last edited by David Schmaus; 09-04-2009 at 8:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    The great secret has been revealed - companies in North America actually have to start seriously engineering their products. In woodworking particularly we have put up with backyard cobbled equipment designs for far too long.
    +1 John

After reading the explanation in the original post I'm sitting here shaking my head. Even if this dust collection guard works half as good as expected it's simply another reason to applaud the people at SawStop. Instead of wasting time and money engineering a way to put the tilt wheel on the front of the saw so it looks good SawStop uses it's limited resources to make the safest table saw healthier to use. What's next?

"The only way dust gets flown back "up" at you is not when the blade makes the cut, but when the dust is carried by the blade <i>after</i> the cut and is pulled all the way around once it comes back up out of the table. If you can capture that dust under the table then it never has a chance to be thrown back up at you."

There's also the dust generated at the back of the blade as it exits the wood.

I think this may the case to some extent even with a perfectly aligned blade because of springback of the wood.

Anybody who's ever had a perfectly aligned blade (I haven't) have an opinion about this?