Thread: Glaser gouges

Glaser gouges

does anyone know of a source for Glaser gouges? i have one, and am looking for another or two, either v10 or v15 - can't find them anywhere. thanks

try the AAW web site
    "Time flys like an arrow........ Fruit flies like a bannana."

thanks; i should have said i've seen those, didn't want to pay a premium higher than the 'regular' glasers already sell for, though - and i'm looking for the aluminum handles. actually, just got off the phone with 'highland' woodworking - they still have 2 bedans, 2 beading, and 1 skew in stock from glaser - they are the ones i bought my 3/8" bowl gouge from last year, and this is all they have left of the v10's.

Read the fine print of the AAW gouges. They are from the "new" owner of the brand and if I recall right the AAW gouges were actually M4 steel for some reason. Which is still a good steel but not the "V" levels.

"Glaser" gouges, it's a tough call. Production and Service are not up to "par".

If you want a great alternative that reliable, take a look at the Thompson gouges, thompsonlathetools.com and get a David Peebles handle for it, www.bowlturner.com. I have this combination and absolutely love it!!! Not associated with Doug or Dave, just an extremely happy customer!!!

There is a 1/2" Glaser bowl gouge for Benefit Auction donated by Jerry Glaser now. The current bid price is $220.
    You may want to use Google search to find out where the auction is.
    Gordon

if youre looking for a "v" steel gouge, why not just go with thompson? are glasser gouges better?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

+1 for the Thompson tools. Great steel, great price...Bill..

I have Glaser and Thompson and truly love both. but if I had to pick today I'd go thompson, though I do like the glaser handles, I like the Monster handles on my Thompson gouges, they feel great, great balance and just a joy to use, and
    Doug is a great guy, still around to service your tools or answer questions
    Sascha

When you use up your Glaser gouges, you can order replacement blades from Thompson. You have to let him know that they are used for Glaser handles; the shaft is different diameter.

Thompson gouges only made from V10 (A-11) steel (no V-15 steel). They are the same steel and heat / cryogenic treatment as Jerry Glaser originally did.
    Gordon

thanks for all the information regarding the thompson tools - i have one of those, too - but as i said, i was looking for a source of the glaser tools, not alternatives thereof.

I don't think Glaser tools are producing any more. Stewart Batty was working with them, but will have his own ones out around the end of the year. Personally, I never liked the Glaser handles. Just too much weight, and not properly balanced for my tastes. I do prefer the wood handles.
    robo hippy