Thread: Details for Jet 1236 stand

Details for Jet 1236 stand

Hi all

I got a few requests for construction details of the laminated lathe stand that I posted photos of earlier this week. Here ya go.

1) Each pedestal is 36" tall (to accomodate my height--so the height of yours would vary). I ended up with a 17" width and a 7" thickness. Each pedestal weighs roughly 80lbs. I made them by buying 10 foot 2 x 8s at my local HD. Each 2 x 8 was cut into thirds, jointed and planed, then ripped down a tiny bit to take the round corners off. If you don't have a jointer or planer, you could certainly just screw and glue each board to the next. There is a ton of gluing surface here.

I left gaps in the glued up boards (see 2nd picture) to act as mortises for the stretchers (horizontal boards connecting the pedestals). Just make sure the gaps match the thickness of the boards you're planning to use as stretchers.

Don't try to glue up all the board at once unless you have some mighty powerful clamps. I glued the outside, longer boards first. Then the middle, shorter boards. When that was dry, I glued the sections together using lots of clamps. Here again, you could certainly screw each board to the next if you don't have enough clamps.

Last, I cut the top corners off on the bandsaw. Then I cleaned everthing up with a belt sander (outside!). I used a router to ease off the edges.

2) The stretchers are 44 1/2" long, 2 x 10". I used them as mortises, but also used them as sides for the sand box. I screwed plywood to the bottom and caulked the inside corners. The ends of the box are dadoed into the stretchers. The ends are bolted to the pedestals to draw everything nice and tight.

3) The upper sandbox is just a tightly fit box, supported by blocks at the ends and screwed to the pedestals.

4) Total dimensions a 44 1/2" long, 17" wide, 36" tall. Pedestals are 7" thick. Stretchers are 44 1/2" long, 2 x 10. Lower box is 10" tall, 9 1/2" wide. It's base is 9" off the ground. Upper box is 8" tall, 9 1/2" wide. It's top is 2 1/2" from the bottom of the lathe bed.

5) Lathe bed is screwed into the pedestals with 3 1/2" screws. You want to go in at an angle, so you're not just screwing into end grain. The longer the screws the better.

Shop time was a weekend, including thinking about it. Total expense, inluding sand was under $50.

Whew. If you have questions, feel free to ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by david brum; 06-23-2009 at 9:49 AM.

Here's one more that wouldn't fit. It shows how the upper box is supported by blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a very solid stand for the lathe. With this sort of design it seems to me that the sky's the limit as far as weight, form and creativity. Seems to me that the mortise and tenon joinery probably makes it nice and stiff.

Okay now you have the brain whirling with possibilities...

#1. Around here, that thing would need some sort of sealant coat. I would be VERY prone to priming and painting that thing with a nice high gloss oil based paint... But that's just me...

#2. I can already see where certain tools would want to live for me, a chuck in its case (on the shelf between the boxes), the OE tools that came with the lathe ( install pegs on the left leg and hang them there, that would keep them handy, but out of the way at the same time. Turning tools on broom clips attached to the front of the legs, or would that get in the way?

That is some very nice work... and a fantastic idea for a cheap improvement...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I don't know Dave, there's no place to put my right foot.

#1. Around here, that thing would need some sort of sealant coat. I would be VERY prone to priming and painting that thing with a nice high gloss oil based paint... But that's just me...
    I was too anxious to see if it worked to put a finish coat on it. I think I might eventually paint it all Jet white, to match the other stuff in my shop.

#2. I can already see where certain tools would want to live for me, a chuck in its case (on the shelf between the boxes), the OE tools that came with the lathe ( install pegs on the left leg and hang them there, that would keep them handy, but out of the way at the same time. Turning tools on broom clips attached to the front of the legs, or would that get in the way?
    Yeah, I think I'll probably attach a turning tool rack to one end. That's the good thing about all the wood surface--lots of room to screw stuff to.

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    I was too anxious to see if it worked to put a finish coat on it. I think I might eventually paint it all Jet white, to match the other stuff in my shop.
    Does Jet use a specific shade of white? Might be worth stripping the lathe down, prepping it, and shooting a fresh coat of paint on it... I've seen more than a few of the older blue Jet lathes with missing paint on them like yours. Any idea what causes that? Like are they prone to the user dropping stuff in a certain area that I should look out for?

Yeah, I think I'll probably attach a turning tool rack to one end. That's the good thing about all the wood surface--lots of room to screw stuff to.
    Was it that obvious what I was thinking? For some reason the brain is working on pegs for hanging stuff though... Just thought it would look better. I am almost concerned about hanging the turning tools on the front of one of the legs, Of course, since it would have a paint finish I guess I could fill any screw holes and touch up the paint and call it good if I decide to move stuff...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Does Jet use a specific shade of white? Might be worth stripping the lathe down, prepping it, and shooting a fresh coat of paint on it... I've seen more than a few of the older blue Jet lathes with missing paint on them like yours. Any idea what causes that? Like are they prone to the user dropping stuff in a certain area that I should look out for?
    Funny, Jet is actually involved in a lawsuit with Shop Fox over using their (Jet's) particular color of white.

Yeah, the blue paint on the cast iron parts is crummy, whereas the paint on the sheet metal parts was good. I think that the earlier Jet stuff was more crude in some ways than what's being currently made. Same goes for Grizzly. I got my lathe for pretty cheap on craigslist, so I'm not complaining though.

Was it that obvious what I was thinking? For some reason the brain is working on pegs for hanging stuff though... Just thought it would look better. I am almost concerned about hanging the turning tools on the front of one of the legs, Of course, since it would have a paint finish I guess I could fill any screw holes and touch up the paint and call it good if I decide to move stuff...
    Just don't make any mistakes....