Thread: Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers in the forum and a great day to the rest of you. Today I am thankful that my father was a woodturner. He passed away in 99 but showed me a few things before he died and left me a lathe, lots of tools and lots of wood. It is his influence that led to turning and I am indeed thankful. Today I am also happy to be the father of my son Silas who has recently started turning himself. This is a picture of a platter he made for me from an especially nice log of Birdseye maple 11 1/" X 1 1/2" finished with walnut oil. I am again indeed thankful.
    IMG_0269.jpgIMG_0267.JPGIMG_0270.jpg

Marc Himes
    Last edited by Marc Himes; 06-21-2009 at 9:14 PM. Reason: Reposition the photos

Its beautiful. Great to have for memories. Hope my children
    keep some of my turnings some day.

Happy Father's Day Marc!

Let Silas know that he did a great job on the platter! Love the wood! You should bring him along to our club meetings - I am sure he could teach a lot of us a few things when it comes to turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Happy Fathers Day. That is a nice looking piece that I am sure your father would be proud of.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Happy Fathers' Day Marc (and other fathers). Looks like you have another future great turner in the family.

I have no children, but got a nice card from our two cats, two dogs, and one semi-tame wild deer, all of whom seem to think that I'm their "daddy". Suspect that my wife was involved, as I doubt that the others made the nice plate of my favorite cookies that came with the card. Very thoughtful of them all.
    Richard in Wimberley

Happy fathers day, that platter is beautiful, the bottom truly looked 3d as if its rippling.

Right back atcha Marc! Happy fathers day to you!
    Tell Silas I give him a big thumbs up on the platter!! Its beautifull!

Great gift for Fathers day!

Marc, I have 4 kids and none of them really show an interest in turning so I am very happy for you that your son is getting sucked into the vortex! The platter has so much character and the grain is stunning!! He chose a very special piece of wood for a very special father! Congrats on your gift and the 3rd generation of woodturners in your family!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks for the comments guys. It is really a pleasure to be able to share this with my son. He does some logging and has given me lots of really great wood over the last several years and now has turned some very nice pieces himself. It is really neat to see how much he appreciates the beauty of wood. Having him come over to use the lathe and visit has added to our relationship. This was a very nice piece of wood and I feel he did it justice.

Thanks again for the replies.

Marc Himes