Thread: lathe stand for Jet 1236

lathe stand for Jet 1236

I thought anyone who's using a 1236 style lathe might find this useful.
    I am trying my hand at bowl turning. I got this 1236 a few years ago on Craigslist. It works fine for spindle work. I mounted an out of round bowl last week and had it oscillating like a hula dancer. Even with several hundred pounds of sand, that sheet metal stand just wasn't stable. It was clear that something was going to break if the lathe ran that way. I even tried screwing plywood to the inside of the stand. No improvement. I see why people get frustrated with these lathes.

At this point, I briefly considered upgrading, but then financial reality brought me back to earth. So I tried to think of the cheapest, most effective way to improve the lathe. I got my idea from my workbench top, which is heavy and ridgid. I laminated a bunch of 2 x 8s ( for the verticals), leaving gaps to act as mortises. Then I inserted 2 x 10s (for the verticals), like tenons. The tenons got turned into boxes, filled with 150# of sand. The whole thing weighs probably 300 lbs, but mainly it really works!

I can now turn with very little vibration. The best part is that my total investment is maybe $40 (plus a quart of glue).
    This, along with a Fenner link belt on the Reeves drive seems to have this old girl humming really well.

If anybody is interested in details, I'd be happy to share while it's fresh in my mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good looking bench, looks really sturdy. Any idea how heavy it is without the lathe attached?

Nice job on the "stand". I didn't know you could use a link belt on a Reeves drive. How did it change the lathe operation?
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Looks nice and 'beefy'. That ought to work better for you.

Good job.

Great looking bench that look good and stout. Should work pretty good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks guys. I'm just glad it works. I figure it's around 350 lbs. The main thing is that it's structurally stiff, so it doesn't oscillate.

I didn't know you could use a link belt on a Reeves drive. How did it change the lathe operation?
    The link belt works great Alan. It was a little noisy at first, but it smoothed out over the first hour. I used a cheapo tachometer to adjust the belt's length so I got the slowest possible speed (550) on the low setting. Time will tell if it holds up. It has worked for quite a few hours so far.
    Last edited by david brum; 06-22-2009 at 1:00 AM.

I am interested in the details... I have the Harbor Freight #34706 which is a clone of that Jet... And mine does the hula dance with an out of round blank as well...

One thing I have noted though, when roughing, I can put my right foot on the spreader and not only get rid of the vibration, but I also find it is easier for me to control the roughing gouge for some reason... Of course I am a Texas sized guy well fed on BBQ Brisket and Shiner Bock Beer... Skinny little guys most likely won't have any luck with doing that, might even get their skinny little backsides launched across the shop...

A fellow turner working very close to me has the newer (white) Jet 1236 with a shelf filled with sandbags on the spreaders. Probably 350# or so... No dancing lathe problems. A simpler approach, but it would seem to me that the stamped steel legs won't hold up to that very long...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

David that is a fine and hefty looking stand. May have to copy that later for an upgrade...Bill...

Details please, I've been looking at various designs for stands, I currently use the Hostetler method of vibration reduction, and while it works I think a better stand is the real solution.

OK guys, I'll draw up some details and post them tonight.

I'm afraid I fit in the "skinny guy" category. I'd have to stand on the tail stock, while holding sand bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lynch View Post
    Details please, I've been looking at various designs for stands, I currently use the Hostetler method of vibration reduction, and while it works I think a better stand is the real solution.
    I am sooo glad I didn't have coffee in my mouth when I read that...

I have a method named after me. Woo Hoo!

Certainly looks beefy enough, nice job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Well, it's better than some things that can be named after you.

Yeah, imfamous lawsuits and diseases are two things that spring to mind...