Thread: Bottle Stopper Question

Bottle Stopper Question

Been thinking of trying to turn some bottle stoppers. Can someone provide a list of what I would need. I already have the lathe (its being shipped in from China) a 1220 VS. Beside the list of stuff I need is there a recommended video to purchase that shows all about making these things? And from searching around which bottle stopper kits do you guys recommend since there are several brands. I also saw that PSI sells a 1x8tpi screw on mandrel instead of the MT2 mandrel, which one is better? Looking at other sites it seems the blanks run $5 plus shipping. That seems pretty high to me especially for such a small piece of wood? Where do you guys get your blanks from?

Thanks

The best place to get blanks is from trees. Seriously.

I almost never pay for wood, and I have so much I couldn't turn it all in a year. Unless I quit my job and turned full time.

There's so much downed wood everywhere you don't need to buy wood. A chainsaw makes a lot of it easy to get too.

Concentrate on a good form and even an ugly piece of wood becomes a thing of beauty.

If I were you, I'd contact the closest turner to you, and get to know them. And find a club near you and get to know the folks there. I've gotten some really nice stuff from fellow turners.

If you were near me, I'd say drop in and I'd load you up...

Jack I agree with Jim. You can cut blanks out of firewood if needed. Lots of free wood to be had. I also PM'd you a site that has what you need for doing stoppers besides your lathe and gouges. I have no interest just a satisfied customer.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jack - I just turned my first stoppers a little while ago and, like you, had no idea what I needed as far as a setup. I checked out the different online places folks have talked about for picking up the mandrel, different stoppers, drill bits, etc but went with Ruth Niles and her introductory package. Everything arrived in great condition and it sure didn't take long to figure out how to turn a stopper! Lots of fun and a great way to use up small pieces of leftover stock!

Here is her website: http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html

And as Bernie says, not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Agree. There's a lot of good information on Ruth's website for turning stoppers.......Ron
    A turning a day keeps the doctor away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    Been thinking of trying to turn some bottle stoppers. Can someone provide a list of what I would need. I already have the lathe (its being shipped in from China) a 1220 VS. Beside the list of stuff I need is there a recommended video to purchase that shows all about making these things? And from searching around which bottle stopper kits do you guys recommend since there are several brands. I also saw that PSI sells a 1x8tpi screw on mandrel instead of the MT2 mandrel, which one is better? Looking at other sites it seems the blanks run $5 plus shipping. That seems pretty high to me especially for such a small piece of wood? Where do you guys get your blanks from?

Thanks
    Jack, Send me a PM and I can help with wood
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Not sure where you are at in Indiana but when I lived in Ft. Wayne there were lots of sawmills and cabinet shops where you could find wood that would work for bottle stoppers. Amish cabinet shops are all over NE Indiana and they always have scraps. I like to use knots or wood close to knots because they almost always have very interesting grain. You can glue up some pieces that will work very nice for stoppers.

I second Steve's post about the introductory kit from Ruth. It has most everything you need to get started except the wood, and a lathe drill chuck with morse taper, which is the method I like to use for drilling blanks. But you could use a drill press instead.

Stopper Kits

Jack:

You may be tempted to buy the PSI stopper kits since they are some of the cheapest on the market. I've used two of those kits and they both pitted after 6 months of use. Since then, I've been buying the Ruth Niles stoppers. They are stainless steel and I think they are guaranteed not to pit.

Steve

Woodcraft has lots of exotic wood turning blanks in the 1.5 x 1.5 dimension that work well for stoppers. I purchased this grab bag for $25.00 has lots of different wood species and has enough wood for about 20 bottle stoppers.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=21177

I also bought Ruth Niles' introductory kit and was very pleased with it and how easy it is to turn a stopper with the right tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    Jack:

You may be tempted to buy the PSI stopper kits since they are some of the cheapest on the market. I've used two of those kits and they both pitted after 6 months of use. Since then, I've been buying the Ruth Niles stoppers. They are stainless steel and I think they are guaranteed not to pit.

Steve

When I was browsing the PSI site I noticed they have a bottle stopper mandrel that screws on to your lathe spindle. Is this a better option than using a MT mandrel?

I use and like the 1x8" mandrel from PSI, Like most I started with the cheap crome plated toppers but as others said they pit and corode. I use the large one of these they make a reall nice topper. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st..._stoppers?Args=

As for wood you can use anything. I use mostly exotics and burls.

Bob

Jack,

Go to Central Illinois Woodturners website where I have posted instructions a couple years ago. Cork or Stainless everything else is junk.

Enjoy, stoppers are very relaxing for me and are enjoyed by my customers and friends.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Kobilsek View Post
    Jack,

Go to Central Illinois Woodturners website where I have posted instructions a couple years ago. Cork or Stainless everything else is junk.

Enjoy, stoppers are very relaxing for me and are enjoyed by my customers and friends.

Frank
    Thanks, I'll go have a look.