Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cake Pans question

I think they would go over well in my neck of the woods too!

I don't know if I would be willing to lay out over 2 grand to find out if they will engrave well though.
    `
    Maybe we should get a pool together like the corian and flame polisher groups did! ?
    Phil
    Red Earth D'Signs

Corel 13, Photoshop CS2, Photograv
    Universal Laser v 460 55w
    Epson 4800 Sub-Lim
    Dyna CNC Plasma/Router Table
    Summa Plotters
    2 Crazy CBR pups that rule the shop!

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.

Been gone...

Been away from the computer for a while so wasn't keeping up with the thread.
    They are powder coated so the lasering would be slow, at least for me.
    The guy will sell 40 for $220.00. If they retail at $25.00 then you would get less than $20.00 for all the contact time with the customer and laser time to do each job. Unless it is multiples with little selling time sounds not too profitable to me.
    Not long ago I would have thought that people would be willing to go 30.00 - 40.00 for something like this. Even though 90% of the folks are still in the same employment situation (or at least close to it) the attitude has change dramatically. People just don't want to do the discretionary spending the way they did.
    Might work out if it could be done on line or some other way with little "face time" with the customer. I have a bad habit of burning up all the profit with chat time. The pans are on Craigs list Kansas City and other cities as well.

Tom

I just checked craigslist and they did not turn up. can you send me a link?

Thanks

Paul

Dee, out of curiosity, how did you get the different colors on the lid?

~Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    It's a metal pan and metal lid. The pan is not coated, but the lid is coated with something like anodized on the outside. It lasers off beautifully. The blue, green and red worked well for me.

I have a few cheaper ones made by another company, Mirro, that are just silver/aluminum, both pan and cover, which I plan to try with cermark, but of course it's only black.

I've seen some plastic lids, but have not tried them. Several others on this forum have more experience with these than I do, maybe they will offer their 2 cents.

cheers, dee
    Gerber Composer, Omega, & Edge
    Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
    --------------------------------
    Previously: Epilog Legend EXT 75W

Blog Entries
    Amanda,

I think that's an artifact of the photo process. I remember Dee saying way back when she couldn't get the flash to not show up (stripe through the middle of the photo), and reflective metals are never the easiest to photograph. You should only see two colors, the main anodized color and the silver underneath.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Amanda,

The lids come coated already - when you can get them! The regular Doughmakers lids are just plain metal, but sometimes they offer the colored ones.

Looks to me (from pictures) that the Nordic ones are smoother/shinier than the Doughmakers. I like the "no fingerprints" rougher/duller finish.

cheers, dee

oh -duh - I was not reading your post correctly - Dan is (as usual) correct. The flash made that light stripe in the photo.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Did anyone ever find a source for these pan lids? I've searched and not found them.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Can anyone else see Tim's post from yesterday, or is it a personal problem for me?
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

You need to look in the middle of the pack as it was responded to a middle of the pack post.... It does not show up at the end. I see it...

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

How ironic, I was going to post some recent issues I had engraving a cake pan. (see second paragraph for those issues)

For cake pans, I called Doughmakers (http://www.doughmakers.com/newmain.htm) last October and asked them to send me a 9" x 13" pan and lid. Told them I was experimenting. They asked me to purchase the pan and they would send a lid at no charge. I also asked if they still had the colored lids and they said they do not carry them any more, so I settled for what they had.

I used Cermark on the product. Using a Universal m360 with 50w, I set the power at 100 and speed at 50 for the first run. When I went to clean it up it did not stick. They entire image washed away. I put Cermark back on it and re-ran it at 100 power and 25 speed. It seemed to stick this time but I still have my concerns. If you rub the design with enough pressure, it seems to be coming off. I engraved it for my Mom for Christmas and she was so exited. Asked her to use the hell out of to see how it holds up. I still have my concerns, I do not think it is going to uphold after a few washings.

Do not mean to hi-jack a post, but I hope that sharing my experience will allow the others to maybe share with you what I may have done incorrectly with my engraving so that your first test run will be successful. In the meantime, I will also gain that knowledge.

PS: That cake pan was in my shop for 3 weeks and I shared it with everyone that came in. Darn near everyone that saw it thought it would make a wonderful gift and they want to purchase one for someone in their family. I have a list of people wanting one once I figure out the errors of my ways.
    Chuck
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    ULS M-360 50 Watt, Corel X3, Signlab 7.1, Photograv 2.0, Adobe CS3, Summa D-60, Sandblasting (for engraving Granite Monuments/Memorials)

I have a 60 watt Epilog and my print files is set to use 25 speed and 100 power. Lately I have been lowering the speed, for the laser power seems to be lessening.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

Blog Entries
    Chuck,

I'm measured at 70W+, and I know my speed was somewhere in the 15-25 area... 50S was waaaay too fast.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Wink

Another source for cake pans is Northland Aluminum in St. Louis Park, MN also know for the Nordicware brand. These mostly sell for $7-10.00 and and come in different colors. Several of my customers use them. They rotary engrave nicely and laser ok. The metal is not polished and when lasered, it is a dull silver. I see most people charge around $25 to $30.00.

http://www.nordicware.com/store/cate...3267AD7/page/2

In order to get wholesale pricing, you need to get into the Kitchen products for retailers area...

Jim Dow

I laser powder coated products regularly with great success and income. It may take 2 or more passes due to the varying thickness of the paint but price accordingly.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7