Thread: Any wood carvers out there? Need advice

Any wood carvers out there? Need advice

I would like to add to my wood turned vessels and small boxes by adding a rotary carving kit. I've looked at this one at packard woodworks. What would you recommend as a starter kit?

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...carv-fore-5400

Matt,

I can't offer you any help on your specific question, but you might also post this in the Woodcarvers Forum here.

That is a good brand flexible shaft. We use them all the time,but you will have to replace the cable inside the rubber hose sometimes. Might want to keep a spare on hand. The replacement cables aren't too expensive. Motor and handpiece should last a very long time.

I recently purchased a 1/3 hp version of this Foredom motor and coupled it with a reciprocating hand piece from Flexcut. The chisels are inexpensive and last quite a while. I use the tool for roughing out mostly with v tools and I find it to be a real work saver. Additionally, it makes the tool easy to control. I switch over to conventional chisels after removing the bulk of the waste wood and roughing in my shape. I wish I had bought one years ago. It saves a lot of mallet blows.

fmr

I believe that Foredom is the good brand, better than Dr***, which my friend does have. He carves some awesome stuff, with the "lower" quality stuff. Perhaps the other brand is right for you...... I agree with the previous poster, you probably get better answers form the carver forum.

free bump...just moved your post to the Woodcarvers Forum.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think you will be happy with this choice. Keep in mind you will create a lot of dust you will need some kind of extraction system.
    John Chase