Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What spacing between boards on a deck?

Butt them tight if you are using wet PT pine decking.

I think there may be some thought about snow and ice getting in and wedging boards apart if your climate freezes.

we use a carpenters triangle out here in the middle of nowhere KS. It's hotter'n a scorched cat in the summer, & dry enough to burn up wheat. The winters are cold & damn little snow, but ya still got debris build up on the deck. Just drop your triangle between each board & use deck screws to hold it in place.
    Sawdust703

Thanks to all who have replied.
    I should have given more info. I have an upper and lower deck attached together by three steps on the south side of my house. There are no tree's nearby. I live in Alberta, Canada so we do get cold weather and snow. The upper deck is 8 x 12 and I refinished it 9 years ago with cedar 1 x 6. It has a polycarbonate smoked semi-transparent cover and metal and glass railing. I used hidden fasteners and placed the deck boards in a diamond pattern. I'm quite happy with it and it is standing up very well.
    I wanted to cover the area over the lower deck as well but wife says no, the kitchen would be too dark in the winter.
    I also thought about using 1 x 6 cedar on the lower deck but decided not to because that would require a lot of frame restructuring. The joists are 18 inches apart. It is 12 x 12. Tomorrow I will take down the wooden rails. I want to rim the deck with one 2 x 10 and one 2 x 6. The new metal rail will sit on the 2 x 10. Then I will fill in with 2 x 4's. I should use cedar but that's expensive, but we will see.
    I will space with a nail or perhaps a square( that sounds like a good method). I will check the moisture content first.
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I figure this will be my last deck in this house. I am in my mid 70's. Possibly one more deck at the cottage in BC. My sons want to add a circular deck out there later this year.
    Please feel free to add recommendations anytime as I will keep checking here.
    Last edited by Ed Henderson; 03-30-2017 at 2:38 AM.