Thread: Turning tools worksharp jigs?

Turning tools worksharp jigs?

Hi All,

I just purchased the Rockler lathe and some PSI Woodworking turning tools. After my rough experimentation with a single small pen size piece of wood, I sharpened my spindle gouge on the Worksharp 300 freehand on the top. I was extremely worried that I was just ruining it, but it made a huge improvement and I was able to turn out a pretty nice pen.

I know I can now freehand sharpen on the worksharp (at least the spindle gouge), but I was wondering if anyone had made a shop built jig(s) for the worksharp. All of my searching has yielded essentially nothing, which leads me to believe that anyone who sharpens on the WS does it freehand or maybe no one actually uses it for sharpening their turning tools. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Figured I would ask as I continue my search....Or try to figure out how to make such a contraption like the one I have seen for grinders.

Don't really need a jig

I could be wrong but it looks like sharpening with a Worksharp is like sharpening with a Jooltool. Since you can see the tool being sharpened, once the edge is shaped correctly, all you need to do is mark it with a Sharpie to show when you have sharpened all your edge. Once the maker is goen the tool is sharp.
    Mike

.....God invented the wood lathe to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.....

In fact that is what I did

I actually did the marker trick. And got it shiny and sharp. It wasn't especially smooth though over entire bevel. So I thought if someone had made something to hold it in place it might be useful.

Thanks

Not what I was thinking

This isn't really what I was thinking of but I found this for the WS2000. I have a 3 but the idea can certainly be modified to use the 3000. Figured I would post and keep looking.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ma...lder_3508.aspx