Thread: Hanging Granite Tile

Hanging Granite Tile

Hi guys i engraved a Black 12 X 12 tile that i bought from home depot and i needed a way to hang it.
    I also wanted it to be able to hang in more than one spot ie. if i use a frame i don't want it to rot in the rain and sun if i leave it outside. because i am not sure where i want to put it..
    so basically i want to know any suggestions on if i should use hooks or picture wire and what type of glue will stick to the tile the best.

Bison Montage Kit

As far as i remember it carries around 120 kg. per 1 mtsqr and dries super fast
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.

How do y'all disply granite times? Use a frame, or bare-naked? I haven't figured out a frame that's worked aesthetically yet, so usually just make a little stand.
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini

4. I think the very simplest way is to make a trip to "Michaels craft store " assuming there is one where you live and pick up a plate holder, they come in various sizes. I have used them for ceramic 12x12 tiles and they work well. Given that a marble tile is heavier you may need to use stud in the wall .
    Explorer II 30W & Corel V12

ok..

that would work i guess, but what if i wanted to hang it out side, would the stand from Michaels hold the tile through heavy rains and winds.. i live FL, and i don't plan on it holding up in a hurricane but we still get lots of rain

6. I guess if you use a big enough screw to hang it on there should be no problems. The other alternative is to cut out a square from say 1/4 plywood and use liquid nails to adhear the tile to that surface and then use the little clips that are used for hanging bathroom mirrors without frames ..... you know the type I'm talking about? they go at the corners. I have done this at home also, and it holds up well.

7. Take a look at the post I have on "Sign Design and Fabracation" for an Idea of what I'm talking about. I have a post there showing a mural I did and I have it hung up on a wall with plywood backing and mirror clips. Solid as a rock.

Speaking of Michaels

I have used aluminum frames from Michaels. They were in the frames section of my local store. They are in pieces and you have to assemble them. They come in various sizes. Slide them over the tile, screw them together, and insert the spring clips there you have it. I have used them a few times and they look great.
    30 Watt Laser Pro Spirit

Life is too short to drink BAD BEER!

Blog Entries
    If you go with Tom's suggestion of sticking it to another substrate, don't use plywood if it will be in the rain... use something more durable and weather-resistant, like concrete board. That would also give you an opportunity to cut out a keyhole in the backer board itself before attaching it to the tile.

That said, I would probably go with a frame of some sort... most likely the suggested black anodized aluminum if it's going to be in the elements.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I use a frame from Earthtones Tile or, Hand N Hand, same company.
    I find them at home depot and the local hardware store, and are in either the tile area, or the area where they keep the numbers for the front of your house. Primary use is for hanging tiles used to number your house, but work good for frames.
    They are black Anodized Aluminum and look very nice and are designed for outdoor use. The ones that Jerry mentions may be the same.
    I started out buying 2 of the 6 X 12 kits and made one 12X12 frame and one 6X6 frame as the parts are interchangeable.
    They come with clips to hang on the wall, and I also use a nut and bolt to make the frame stand. I paint the bolt black so it blends in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Brinkmeyer; 06-20-2009 at 9:32 AM.

Thank you Paul, I too have been looking for a good way to hang these heavy tiles. Do you recall the price?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

$12.00 to $15.00 range in the store.

Jack

Thanks guys

I'm going to home depot this weekend and hopefully they have it down here, i actually went to home depot earlier this week and the people were clueless on what to use.

I have drilled small divots in the back, then put a knot in some stainless braided picture frame wire, and used 2 part epoxy to 'pot' the wire knots in the divots. Ordinary masking tape will hold them in the holes until the epoxy cures. I used ordinary epoxy, but there are special ones for repairing stone etc. that might be better.. Nothing has fallen off so far
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it