Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk about a handful......

Talk about a handful......

Just received the 3/8" Ray Isles pig sticker from TFWW - ordered the combo with the 1/4", but it is on backorder.

I do have relatively small hands, but MY GOSH this is one hunk of tool! I have never attempted hand chopped M&T before, but want to see if I can add that to my skill list. From all the research I could do here on the creek, these should do the trick.

Now I just need one of you guys to come help me steady this sucker.... I reckon if I can just lift it up and let drop, the weight will sink it
    Attached Images Attached Images

You need a spotter to use that thing!!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

3. I think you will like it

I have one and really like mine. D2 steal is no joke, though. That stuff makes my stones cringe! Flattening the back and honing was a challenge. The upside, however, is that it will stay sharp for a long time.
    Eric

Blog Entries
    Nice, if those can't cut a mortise, nothing will.

I have been looking at the Ray Isles 1/2 inch mortise chisel. Been slowly working on the LOML to get her to suggest I go ahead and buy the thing.
    She usually comes around when she can see it helps to build one of the projects she has me doing.

That is one of the reasons to hang on to some junk chisels. Come in from the shop with a bent or banged up chisel, show it to her and say something like, "that bed frame you wanted sure did do a number on this one." Tell her of the need for a "real" mortise chisel. Soon, the package is at the door. Of course, then you have to finish the bed frame. Sounds like a fair deal to me. And the bed frame is getting closer to the top of the list.

jim

That's a good line, Jim. I will have to remember that. I am fortunate (depending on one's view) that my wife has hobbies that, while not as tool oriented as mine, do "require" the purchase of new toys every now and then. So, I don't get too much grief over a new purchase.

I am my own worst enemy on this. With clothes, if I buy 3 new shirts, I dug in the closet and take 3 to the community need center - same with shoes, etc. Now, when I want to buy a new tool, I feel the need to go out to the shop and scrounge for some tools to sell. Just sold my previously unused mortise chisels, and a plane so I could justify this purchase - although, the $$ didn't come close!!!!

Hi have both of them, and love them. They are big and Heavy but they work realy well. The big thing I like, is the ovale handle, it make it easy to keep them the right way wile you work!

I bought three plus the hammer from them last year when they attended the open house at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop.

Nice tools and good guys -- the dovetail saw is nice also.

When he demonstrated them I was surprised how hard he was hitting them - they really work well when given a strong whack!

Now thats a serious chisel there John!!

Wheres the cord??
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Now thats a serious chisel there John!!

Wheres the cord??
    Jim, I have looked everywhere It wasn't in the box, and there isn't a parts list for me to order one??!!??

Wonder.... could one do cabriole legs with this thing??

Naw, a handful is a 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4". and a club or large mallet to make it go.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

One time at a living history show I was Smithing and the woodbutchers came over and was watching my compadre make a hook, and they started a debate on how they were going to cut a 2" by 4" mortise on one of the timbers, they were debating drilling and chopping, but they had no beam borer and no mortise chisels, I kinda crept away and went over to where they were making chips and a young man was there looking at the timber, the mortise had already been laid out, I asked if I could use his 2 inch framing chisel and mallet, and I sat down on the beam and chopped them both in about 10 minutes, then went back over to my setup and they had given up on any solutions. I told them the mortises were already done, their young apprentise had done them while they argued. LOL He tried to tell them that I did it, but they wouldn't believe him. so he got credit. he watched me close so he should have been able to do them himself.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

LOL, when I saw the first picture the first thing that popped into my mind was the shower scene from the Alfred Hitchcock movie "Psycho".

Nice chisel, John. Now you need a heavy mallet to go with it!

Danny, I don't think my lightweight dovetail mallet is going to get this job done! I would hate to think about chopping out the mortises Harry is tallking about!!!

Jeff, I think I could take down an elephant with this thing

Now there's a chisel!
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard