Thread: Dither filter for Photoshop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dither filter for Photoshop

For the Photoshop users that would like different dither method than the standard PS 1-bit Bitmap Dither, I found this freeware filter for different dither effects (Threshold dithering, Error Dithering). I have not fully played with it, but it does a great job on the Stucki and Jarvis dither that is found in CD Photopaint. Offers many different Dithering forms.
    Jim

http://www.ximagic.com/g_index.html

(Go to "download & Info" to download filter)

Nice one Jim, always worth the investigation.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks for the filter. I have been playing with it and honestly cant see where it will help when using the Epilog driver. Since the Epilog driver applies its own dither method when rastering there is no way to effectivly use this filter as double dithering does not work too well.

I found by just converting to Black and White then adjusting the levels works pretty wel with the Epilog driver. Some times tone mapping will also help.

It says it's compatible with Corel PhotoPaint...
    anybody want to walk me through the procedure for installing/using a plugin like this in Corel?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    It says it's compatible with Corel PhotoPaint...
    anybody want to walk me through the procedure for installing/using a plugin like this in Corel?
    Lee,

Save the .8bf file in the "Program files\Corel\Corel??\Plugins" folder.

The "??" is the version of Corel.

Go to Tools - Options - Workspace - Plug ins and make sure the above folder is there and checked. If it is not there then Add it.

Check the "Initialize plug ins on start up."

Click OK.

Close and restart Corel, load a pic then got to Effects and the Ximagic filter should be on that menu.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Lee,

Save the .8bf file in the "Program files\Corel\Corel??\Plugins" folder.

The "??" is the version of Corel.

Go to Tools - Options - Workspace - Plug ins and make sure the above folder is there and checked. If it is not there then Add it.

Check the "Initialize plug ins on start up."

Click OK.

Close and restart Corel, load a pic then got to Effects and the Ximagic filter should be on that menu.
    Ah, got it...thanks.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    Thanks for the filter. I have been playing with it and honestly cant see where it will help when using the Epilog driver. Since the Epilog driver applies its own dither method when rastering there is no way to effectivly use this filter as double dithering does not work too well.
    I've never seen "double-dithering"...
    In my experience the Epilog driver only applies the dithering when it sees levels of greyscale.
    If you've already converted to 1-bit black&white in PS or CDR then there's no greyscales in the image for the Epilog driver to apply the dithering to, you've effectively overridden the Epilog dithering.

Im not sure that is what the driver does. Need Epilog to verify that. In any case I dithered my heart out with the filter I used all kinds of DPI and power settings and it still could not match the quality of a color imaged converted to black and white and then sent to the epilog drivver. I just never got the detail that showed up in the filtered dither. The darks were too dark and the lights were too light.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    a color imaged converted to black and white.
    I think you mean grayscale. I agree that the driver does not dither something that is already black and white. That would cause all sorts of issues. I'm sure if the driver recognizes 100% black, it leaves it alone.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

In photoshop its called converting to Black and White. In any case I could not get any dithered (filter) photo to come out as good as just letting the Epilog driver do its thing.

In my Photoshop (CS3), it goes from color to Grayscale and then to Bitmap.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.