Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally the Eucalyptus in on the lathe!

Warning!

To both you and Mike, Some donnuts have been known to make you SWELL UP and bloat.

That's a beautiful blank and bowl by the way.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Donuts for strength and performance!

Bob, I have a sweet tooth the size of Texas!!! So far my heart is still good and working well! I would like to be the size I was when I got out of basic training in 1978 but that was about 65lbs ago at 172lbs! So after 31 years I guess it is only 2lbs a year, but I was way to skinny then!!

Peter, I ended up coring them to about 5/8 to 3/4" thick so I will keep a good watch on them to see what they are doing as they dry. I covered them completly with anchorseal so it will be a few months to maybe 6 mo. before I get them finished.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

That is quite an attractive cored set Jeff. I really like the form your coring set put these bowls into. Anxiously awaiting the "finished" set. Congrats...bill...

Great Job,Jeff!

Keep practicing on that McN SYSTEM AND GET REAL GOOD SO YOU CAN DEMO AT THE GUILD ONE DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian George View Post
    Great Job,Jeff!

Keep practicing on that McN SYSTEM AND GET REAL GOOD SO YOU CAN DEMO AT THE GUILD ONE DAY.
    Brian, I knew that was coming! You know me always ready to show off!! Got your walnut turned yet? I better get started!!

JEff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Awesome!!!!!!!!

Hey! I'm sorry for the late response, I've been busy with finals for school. But Jeff that looks great!!!!! I'm glad I gave you the big half that I didn't cut up as much. it looks sweet. I still have 2 other blanks that are wider across the grain but half that size with the grain. I can send them out to you since I haven't had too much time on the lathe but I'll hopefully get mine set up and I'll meet up with Mike Jackofsky who lives fairly close and is a real good turner.

Maybe if I can rustle up a trip out there I can see them done in person. My only question would be how do I get a decent amount of wood back with me if I fly.

But hey, I really do like that set of bowls. I'll show my mom the pics tomorrow. or and I have some dunnowood that I can cut into a blank and see what kind of magic you can do with it.
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod McGehee View Post
    Hey! I'm sorry for the late response, I've been busy with finals for school. But Jeff that looks great!!!!! I'm glad I gave you the big half that I didn't cut up as much. it looks sweet. I still have 2 other blanks that are wider across the grain but half that size with the grain. I can send them out to you since I haven't had too much time on the lathe but I'll hopefully get mine set up and I'll meet up with Mike Jackofsky who lives fairly close and is a real good turner.

Maybe if I can rustle up a trip out there I can see them done in person. My only question would be how do I get a decent amount of wood back with me if I fly.

But hey, I really do like that set of bowls. I'll show my mom the pics tomorrow. or and I have some dunnowood that I can cut into a blank and see what kind of magic you can do with it.
    Jarrod, What ever the dunnowood is it sounds fun! Send me some and I will do like I am for Mark Norman, I will send you back a finished piece to start your collection of turnings other than your own! Sorry I missed your post here, like you I get to busy or I am asleep in my lazyboy!

Thanks a bunch,

Jeff

Its not fair that you guys in the USA have so much neat wood to turn.
    That wood looks like it is going to make fabulous bowls. Can't wait to see the completed bowls.
    And another thing - I have been reading posts for a while and on my way home from Georgia in early April where I spend the winter I have been drooling over your wood gloats. Well 2 days from home we were camped in Oakdale,WS and the next day enroute I see this trailer go by with what looked like turning wood (somewhere around Black River Falls). So I call my wife on the radio (she had her little car and I pull the 5th wheel) and I say to her, I bet thats Jeff Nicoll with another gloat load of wood. I'll wave in the fall when I go by Eau Claire.
    Nice work Jeff!
    Regards,
    Wayne

Wayne,

You should stop by for a visit.

Mike
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Leach View Post
    Its not fair that you guys in the USA have so much neat wood to turn.
    That wood looks like it is going to make fabulous bowls. Can't wait to see the completed bowls.
    And another thing - I have been reading posts for a while and on my way home from Georgia in early April where I spend the winter I have been drooling over your wood gloats. Well 2 days from home we were camped in Oakdale,WS and the next day enroute I see this trailer go by with what looked like turning wood (somewhere around Black River Falls). So I call my wife on the radio (she had her little car and I pull the 5th wheel) and I say to her, I bet thats Jeff Nicoll with another gloat load of wood. I'll wave in the fall when I go by Eau Claire.
    Nice work Jeff!
    Regards,
    Wayne
    Wayne, You are welcome! You are also welcome to stop by and chat and get some wood on your way through WI any time! I love to gab and to share my bounty!! Thanks for the post and hope to see you some day!

Jeff

Jeff and Mike,
    Thanks for the welcome guys!
    I would love to drop by on my way down south this fall and will let you know if/when I will be in the neighbourhood.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Wayne

Amazing grain, how sweet the sight........
    Sorry couldnt resist!! Looking good Jeff, looking good!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Ha! I do the same thing here. especially after one of those long hard days. So if you send one back that means that I'll have a few pieces to show off because I don't have anything (well presentable at least).
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Euclyptus...The wood

Hi,

I enjoyed your bowl photos.

Question: Do you know what kind of euclyptus? Last I heard there were over 350 types of euclyptus.

I can, and do, get a chord or two for firewood every year. Any time a neighbor tops or removes a tree, they ask me if I want the wood. I say yes and get out my trusty chain saw, splitters, etc. and turn it into firewood. It is usually Lemon Gum or Red Gum. The pieces are from a couple inches in diameter up to thirty inches.

I am bran--spanky new at woodturning. I didn't even think of turning it because it seems quite fiberous when I'm driving a wedge into it.

Clue me in please.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    So. Calif. 5 miles to ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Hi,

I enjoyed your bowl photos.

Question: Do you know what kind of euclyptus? Last I heard there were over 350 types of euclyptus.

I can, and do, get a chord or two for firewood every year. Any time a neighbor tops or removes a tree, they ask me if I want the wood. I say yes and get out my trusty chain saw, splitters, etc. and turn it into firewood. It is usually Lemon Gum or Red Gum. The pieces are from a couple inches in diameter up to thirty inches.

I am bran--spanky new at woodturning. I didn't even think of turning it because it seems quite fiberous when I'm driving a wedge into it.

Clue me in please.

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim,
    I too am brand new at turning, I also had no idea euc could be so fantastic. I have plenty available too and until I saw this I never thought it was good for anything more than heat for me home.
    Also Cedar and other soft woods can hold mysteries inside em. I never even thought of turning a pine cone until I saw it done, I have yet to do so but its on my list of things to turn. We have plenty of them too.

These guys (and gals) here on SMC have shown me so much of what beauty is hiding in every tree in the forest and even the bushes and bowling balls. simply amazing what can come from the everyday stuff when ya put it on a lathe and spin it. Just take away what is not art with a gouge, chisel, saw or other sharp piece of steel ya have and miracles happen.