Thread: IWF Show in Atlanta - Is it worth a visit?

Question IWF Show in Atlanta - Is it worth a visit?

The International Woodworking Fair begins in Atlanta this coming Thursday. I am thinking of attending on the weekend. For anyone who has attended in the past, is it a wothwhile show for the home hobbyist? Do they sell products onsite or is it just a show to view the various manufacturers' offerings?
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Kent, if you have the time, taking a couple of days to walk the IWF show will be "enlightening"...and yes, you need more than one day to get through this HUGH event. It takes up the entire Georgia World Congress Center...every square inch. The focus of the show is industrial and professional woodworking, so much of what you will see is much bigger than you will likely every use or want. But even that can be educational. The familar names will be there, too, such as Delta, Jet, Dewalt, Makita, Festool, Bosch, Mini Max, Laguna, Onieda, etc., with pretty much their full lines on display. David Marks will be in the Mini Max booth and Festool will have Tommy Silva on hand. Some vendors do sell; others do not.

Again, if you have the time, enjoy the show. I went in 2002 and would have liked to attend this year. Unfortunately, business travel precludes that this time around. There are some folks from SMC and other forums attending, so you may be able to hook up with people you know by name from your interactions online.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Kent,

I went to the one in Anaheim last year and was blown away by some of the larger tools. About half of the show is devoted to woodworking hardware. I saw lots of stuff I didn't know existed. I went on the first day and scored a bunch of free swag. The crowds were light (probably won't be that way on the weekend). Because of that and because of the fact that my wife was with me , I saw the whole thing in a day. My feet were a bit sore the next day but it was well worth it. I'm planing to go the one in Las Vegas next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cori
    The International Woodworking Fair begins in Atlanta this coming Thursday. I am thinking of attending on the weekend. For anyone who has attended in the past, is it a wothwhile show for the home hobbyist? Do they sell products onsite or is it just a show to view the various manufacturers' offerings?
    I live in Atlanta and went in 2002. From a home hobbiest standpoint not a lot of bang for the buck unless you want to rubberneck monsterously large tools. If you ran a woodworking business might make sense to go. IMHO. I like the shows geared to the hobbiest. Affordable eqpt, supplies and useful demos.