Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just finished two costly days of fun with a rented backhoe!

Well Frank, next time will be better!

We loaned the farms backhoe to a irrigation company to fix some underground pipeline this spring. Somehow the geniuses missed the fact that they dug through an empty 10" water pipe to put in our 8" line. Everything went well, until the neighbor used his well...

We need pics!!
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Keep in mind Scott, Backhoes don't fall out of the sky when you mess up
    As some one who has survived a helicopter crash, let me just say amen to that!!!!

I remember driving a little Bobcat at the same time as I was taking flying lessons. I couldn't get my feet to learn the new patterns and I made all kinds of mess.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

5. How Big a Backhoe?

A Terramite , a Kubota or a 5000 pound full size?

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Kubota with a small blade as well as the bucket. Dug almost TOO well!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Remember two words Frank.

DIG SAFE 1-800.......
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

At least you missed the primary power feed to your work shop.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

I just spent $1500 for local sewer cleaning company to come in and dig out 12' of basement foundation, install new drainage tile, waterproof walls, install new gravel, jet out existing drains, back fill and more. All of the digging was done with small Kabota excavator. Neat machine and it was almost worth the money to just watch the very skilled driver maneuver around my house....almost

Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 06-18-2009 at 10:31 AM.

How heavy does heavy equipment get before they won't rent it to you unless you have special credentials? Bulldozers?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    How heavy does heavy equipment get before they won't rent it to you unless you have special credentials? Bulldozers?

No, you could rent one of those. They usually come with a hefty minimun use fee, like $250/hour, and you have to use it for 100 hours. I guess that would probably keep the weekend warriors away.

In the Spring of '06 I redid the retaining wall in the front of our house. On MOTHER'S DAY 2006 we took the old wall down and moved the rubble into the back yard. I managed to get the Kubota B21 stuck as shown.

The good thing about a backhoe is that you can sometimes lift yourself out of peril with the hoe and the outriggers.

I used to deliver rental equipment and a local tow truck operator confided in me that he made good money on the weekends when homeowners would rent a loader with a york rake and get themselves into trouble. Having the rake takes away the hoe and the outriggers. . .

W/R/T to 1-800-dig-safe. Here in NJ it became NJ One Call. I was on the phone with the local DPW folks about my concerns about a sewer line markout on my property and I said I had called Dig-SAFE already. He say's you called who? Oh - I meant NJ One Call. . . I guess that makes me an old timer (at 43).

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

They rented me a Bobcat with an auger attachment at work to put in about 30 signposts. It was a ball. Did not hit anything. Kept trying for the closed circuit TV lines.

You couldn't walk it out from underneath the porch?