Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coring and Hollowing rigs advice needed

Coring and Hollowing rigs advice needed

I'm getting ready to buy a coring rig and a hollowing rig to be used on a Oneway 2436. Have no experience with these yet. I'm leaning toward the Oneway unit for each, however the Jamieson unit seems pretty popular for hollow turning. I'd appreciate your experiences with these and other options.

I have this guy from Randy Privitt.
    http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page6.html

It does a nice job and please campare his units to what you would pay for Oneway and the Jameson. I have been very pleased with this one and he also has a newer version that is an aticulated arm system.

I love my Oneway accessories, but my hollower is a Monster articulating arm and my coring tools are McNaughton. The Monster rig is very well made and versatile. The McNaughton coring tools are not as easy to learn and foolproof to use as the Oneway system, but they allow for a much wider variety of vessel shapes.
    Last edited by Don Eddard; 06-13-2009 at 5:01 PM.

Bob,
    I haven't purchased a coring rig as of yet. There are several out there with varying degrees of learning curves. I do have Randy Privett's Monster Hollowing Rig. I have the Articulated rig which is really a fine piece of Machinery. It will remove a great deal of material in short order with a very small learning curve. I am slowly getting tired of so much waste on turning the inside of bowls, so I will watch this thread for some input on coring rigs. IMHO you can't get better quality than Randy's tools.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

After looking for about a year I just ordered the big Monster rig. I couldn't find anything else as well made.
    -=Jason=-

Another Vote For The Monster!

I also have Randy Privet's Articulated Arm Monster Hollowing Rig (and love it).
    I have the Oneway coring system and am very satisfied with it! I have not tried any of the other setups, so my experience is limited to the great success I have had with these tools.
    Change One Thing

I have the Kelton coring system, it has a bit of a learning curve like everything but most people just don't trust the system, it's so easy.
    then for hollowing I have the Monster articulated arm and the Keith Clark for deep hollowing.
    I love both, I really do but I am still thinking to get the Monster captured system. Randy makes a great tool here, his craftsmanship is outstanding and once you order the Monster articulated arm you can do hollowforms like there is no tomorrow
    his laser system is just amazing and easy to use.
    and if you get both, you not only get an amazing tool, you also have interchangeable cutters and such.
    Sascha

I have the Woodcut Bowl Saver coring rig. Its absolutely idiot proof, heck I can use it so there ya go!! Its not the most versatile rig on the market but for the money you cant beat it. About 30 minutes from box to bowls the first time I used it.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I have the Keith Clark system and it's great for large pieces. But it is really heavy too. I ordered Randy's Monster rig since it looks perfect for doing forms 12" and less and the setup time looks really quick. I've not heard anyone complain about his system either.
    As for coring I have the McNaughton sets and a Woodcut system. The woodcut is very easy to use and has such a small learning curve it's unbelievable. The only drawback is you are limited on size. I was just looking at Johannes Mickelsens "ConeBone Coring Tool" http://hannestool.com/products-page/...carbide-cutter . I could see where it could come in handy. He cores out some pretty good size cores with it too. It'll take me awhile to decide if I need to drop that kind of cash for it, but I could see it later on in my arsenal.

I have a similar tool, not my cup of tea but great for cone shapes,

but the Kelton is amazing
    Sascha

I bought the oneway coring rig and love it. Also have the monster hollowing rig from Randy Privett and his articulating arm hollowing system.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have done a number of posts about coring systems, and you can search them for more detail if you wish. I have all 3.

Oneway: most expensive, easy to use, has its own plate to set up on rather than going into the banjo, very stable when coring bigger bowls. Down side, when coring a bowl, you have to turn off the lathe to advance the support finger that goes under the cutting blade. On an 18 inch bowl, this can be 4 or 5 times. The tip is a pain to sharpen. Because of the point on the tip, you have to surface grind the top, not the face of the tool. This means you have to remove the tip, hold it up to the grinding wheel (a jig for doing this is extra), then put it back on. There is a little versatility in taking different shapes as you can move the plate to the sides, but if you go all the way to one side, the support finger can bind in the cut.

Woodcut: little system (big blade is 5 inch radius), but works easily. There is some chatter on bigger bowls, and on harder woods. It has to attach to the tailstock for support. Stellite cutters work wonderfully, especially if you have a smaller lathe.

McNaughton: My favorite. Those who use it swear by it and swear at it. For me, it is the fastest to set up, and use. It has the most versatitlty when coring as you can core plates, standard bowls, or deeper vessels. The down side is that there is a learning curve. It does have a laser pointer available to let you know where you are so you can correct your cut if necessary. For blades, you can get them all the way down to ones for the mini lathes, 4 different sets, but the standard set will get you through most of your turnings. This is not an intuitive tool, and you need some one to show you how, or there are 2 DVDs out on how to use it, one by Mike Mahoney, and one by me.

For hollowing, I have the Monster system, and love it. I did have an adapter made so I could use my other hollowing cutters. I prefer the hookes ones (Kelton) to the articulated head and adjustable cutters types, mostly smaller and no adjusting to do. I prefer a carbide disc for finish work, and the Kelton for roughing. I do have a home made captured boring bar for deeper forms. To go 12 inched deep with the Monster, you need a really delicate touch. Up to 8 inches it is fairly easy. The articulated system really only taked finger tip pressure to operate, and with the excellent pointer, it makes hollowing simple.

robo hippy

Thanks to all for the first hand advice, it's priceless. Now I'm leaning toward the Monster for hollowing but coring is still up in the air - maybe Oneway or Monster. Other opinions are still appreciated.

you will love the monster,

I also was very torn about coring, but what I loved about the Kelton was the setup has a bit of a freehand kind of vibe, one blade and you kinda eyeball it.

I knew it had a small learning curve but it also meant I could do any coring I wanted.

the oneway and woodcut use too much setup IMHO, very safe, but i like to freehand better
    Sascha

Obviously, the Monster hollowing systems are the overwhelming fan favorite around here (just like Thompson for gouges). I do all my hollowing by hand, but Randy's stuff is really nice. I may look into one of those some day.

The OneWay coring system is nice if you can afford it. Gets pretty expensive once you have all the pieces you need. The Woodcut coring tool is not versatile enough in my opinion. I have the McNaughton system. It does take some getting used to at first ... especially on large, hard, dry blanks. But with more practice I am finding it working well. It is fast to set up and the most versatile system out there. If you have the chance, try them out in person and see which one works better for your needs.