Thread: Jewelry box gift

Jewelry box gift

Hi Guys---and Ladies,
    I am attempting to learn how to attached photos to my posts; so here goes. These photos are of a jewelry box I made for my neighbor's daughter
    who just graduated from college. This box is my fourth effort since I started attempting INCRA joinery and still has a couple of "uh-oh's" that most of the uninitiated will probably no notice. This box is made of curly
    maple, walnut and padauk.

Now that is a good looking box.... WOW

I love the hinges on it and the colors..

Lot of work and that one with those fancy box joints....

Great job.

Blog Entries
    Really nice! Tell us about the hinges. How did you get the color? Are they painted?

Jewelry Box Gift

The hinges are made of padauk with a wash coat of thinned Seal Coat and
    3 coats of Minwax Wipe On Poly. Finishing was done before installation and glued in with medium thick CA glue. All the red colored wood you see is padauk. The blue color is felt lining. Thanks for asking.
    Jim Pritchett

Hey, nice looking heirloom. I was wondering though why you used felt instead of velvet?

Jewelry Box Gift

Hey Ron,
    Felt was what I had on hand. Maybe I will use velvet for the one I promised to build for the LOML. I bet I get a better return on my money
    for that one, whatcha think? Jim

I started using the velvet some years back in an effort to have a higher end finish. The better velvet is expensive but I think it looks and feels nicer. A couple of times I just had the women go out and buy what they wanted. I only apply it to the bottoms unless told other wise. It is more difficult to apply. I have to use a 3m type spray adhesive to prevent it from soaking up the glue. I have been looking around from time to time for suede but haven't really found any. Best of luck