Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mac compatible laser engraver

Mac and LaserPro C180

Doug,

Thanks for the head up!

I have Photo Shop Elements 6, which has a bitmap feature. Not sure about the vector part as I'm still "learning". Will this work or will I really need "Illustrator"? Your comments and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
    The Wood Block, Ltd

You need to be able to set the line weight to hairline (In Illustrator .001" will work). Elements won't allow you to do this. You might have luck with some other less costly alternative. But then I doubt the driver has been tested outside of Illustrator. You need to ask LaserPro.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Mac and LaserPro C180

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    You need to be able to set the line weight to hairline (In Illustrator .001" will work). Elements won't allow you to do this. You might have luck with some other less costly alternative. But then I doubt the driver has been tested outside of Illustrator. You need to ask LaserPro.
    Doug,

Once again, thank you for the heads up! I'm learning as quickly as possible. More importantly, please keep the outstanding "words of advice and direction" headed my way!

I'm sure that the LaserPro folks will add to my knowledge base considerably during the demo.

Thanks again!

Dave
    The Wood Block, Ltd

Inkscape is a free vector program that should work. It's PC and MAC compatible. Google "Inkscape".
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Mac and LaserPro C180

Scott,

Thanks for the information. I'll check it out soonest!

Dave
    The Wood Block, Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Garcia View Post
    Robert,
    when I read your comment about Corel 11 that is Mac compatible, I have to ask the question. Where can I get a Mac compatible copy of Corel?

Thank you in advance.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd
    When I bought my first laser in 2003 from Kurt Koser, he also sold me Corel 9 and the upgrade version of Corel 11 that was both MAC and Windows compatable. I don't know if the regular version is also MAC compatable, but the Corel 11 Upgrade package I have is.

-Robert Ray

Mac compatible laser

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ray View Post
    When I bought my first laser in 2003 from Kurt Koser, he also sold me Corel 9 and the upgrade version of Corel 11 that was both MAC and Windows compatable. I don't know if the regular version is also MAC compatable, but the Corel 11 Upgrade package I have is.

-Robert Ray
    Robert,

Thank you very much for this information. Am also glad to see that I'm not the only one that has had any business dealings with the North American LaserPro folks, specifically Kurt Koser and his son Parker.

I'm also very happy to see that there are other folks out there in the laser engraving business that use a Mac. With your Mac version of Corel, do I take it that you do not use a windows based graphics software package at all, or do you also have Boot Camp and or Parallels loaded on your Mac to run windows based software?

With regards to the newer versions of Corel, no, they are not made for the Mac. Not sure why that is........... it just is I guess. From what I've been reading in this forum, going back to use an older version of Corel on a newer Mac platform is probably not a good idea. That being the case I'm still searching for a graphics software package that will allow me to do those things necessary to work well with my LaserPro C180. I tentatively have a demo scheduled here shortly with Parker down in SoCal (which is only a couple of hours from where I live) and I'll be able to speak with him extensively on the interface requirements for a Mac with the LaserPro new Mac driver.

Stay tuned! And please keep all of this good info headed my direction!

Dave
    The Wood Block, Ltd

Would a EPILOG Legend 36 EXT 60 Watter Laser work?

I have a LIKE NEW EPILOG Legend 36 EXT 60 Watt Laser System For Sale.
    Would that work for you. I have Corel X3 with it which should run on a Mac.

You could call EPILOG and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lee View Post
    I have Corel X3 with it which should run on a Mac.
    Sorry, doesn't work on a Mac.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Mac compatible laswer engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lee View Post
    I have a LIKE NEW EPILOG Legend 36 EXT 60 Watt Laser System For Sale.
    Would that work for you. I have Corel X3 with it which should run on a Mac.

You could call EPILOG and find out.
    Daniel,

Although the Epilog is a fine machine, it does not have a Mac interface driver. Most Mac users that have an Epilog run some sort of software package, such as Boot Camp and or Parallels on their Mac's in order to run a Windows based graphics software package, such as Corel Draw, that the Epilog does have a driver for.

Corel Draw 3 does in fact work on a Mac, but there is no support for it from the company anymore as Corel has elected to drop their marketing of a Mac version of Corel Draw. And loading Boot Camp or Parallels to "work" with a Windows based software package defeats the many advantages over a PC of being a Mac user in the first place.

The ONLY laser engraver that I've found during my two years of research that has a driver interface for a Mac computer is the LaserPro series of products.

If you are interested, contact the LaserPro folks at laserprona.com. They have been great in helping me out.

Thanks for the info on your laser for sale. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it on this forum. Lot's of new folks to the laser engraving business looking for a good used machine.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Garcia View Post
    The ONLY laser engraver that I've found during my two years of research that has a driver interface for a Mac computer is the LaserPro series of products.
    I'm a Mac user myself and would like to avoid using a VM or a PC but your posts are becoming advertisements for a particular manufacturer. I, personally, am not interested in product hype for an as yet to be released product. It's all speculation until it actually ships.

Doug, I think the product already exists, just not for that one last model from them. I think the rest of their product line is already compatible.

Mac compatible laser engraver

Doug/Scott,

Am very glad to see/hear that there are other Mac users on this forum who were able to find and use whatever laser engraver they were able to get to interface with their Mac, regardless of the software package they chose to use.

My sincere apologies to anyone that I've offended by carrying on this conversation concerning one particular laser brand. My intent was to get answers from knowledgable people like yourselves, not "advertise" and or "put forth" commercially related information to get members to purchase any one particular companies product.

I will get off and stay off this forum from here on out.

Thank you very much for everyone's help. You've all reinforced my basic feeling that there still are some wonderful and helpful individuals in this great country of ours!

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd
    Vietnam '69 - '75
    USN Retired

Dave, no need to leave! If you search Epilog, you'll find 1000's of posts and people talking about them. No worries about mentioning one product at all. It's a laser forum, we talk about lasers, and I'm following your adventure quite closely, and I want to know the results of your findings. It will influence my next purchase, so stick around!

Dave, It's all me. I'm the guy who mentioned name slinging, not Scott. I don't think you should leave either, I was just making an observation and should have kept my mouth (or fingers) shut.