Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work in progress: Carved panel

Here's where I am now. I've finished carving all the major elements and have started smoothing (sanding). As I work on it, I find things that need adjustment so I go back and do some detail carving as I'm smoothing.

I need to work the flower in the center to add relief - carve the center of the petals down a bit. It's too flat.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-12-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nice carving Mike! What is the depth of the relief? That seems to be where I usually make a mistake by going deeper that is really needed.

I just went and checked the depth - most of it is about 3/16". My problem is the opposite - I don't do enough relief. I have to keep reminding myself to cut deeper so the design will stand out more. For example, this morning I carved the flower with more relief.

The first picture is the whole panel with the higher relief flower. The second picture is a close up of the higher relief flower, and the third is the lower relief flower. It's hard to show this in pictures, but easy to see in person.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Here's the final, except maybe for a small amount of cleanup before I deliver it. There's always things I'd change if I did it over, but I'm satisfied with the way it came out.

Mike

Well Mike I cant imagine any reason the client wouldnt like that!! Absolutely outstanding job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

And here's a picture of the panel installed, but not finished. I'll try to get a picture of it finished but it's not always possible.

Mike